Question of random importance or none

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
FinallyFree

Re: Question of random importance or none

Post by FinallyFree »

I just think at this point it is just nuts to think Jesus would come back to earth to literally reign, along with some huge battle of Armeggedon being fought. I don’t think the Catholic Bible even contains the book of Reveletion—might be a good thing since so many people get so many crazy things out of it. I avoid Sunday School classes that are covering it, I just get nothing from it.
agricola

Post by agricola »

The book of Revelation is in the Roman Catholic Bible, all right. Look at Dante's Inferno, or the art of Heironymus Bosch, or Michelangelo and others.
But among Roman Catholics, there is more 'Church Tradition' than 'read the Bible for yourself and you will understand it'.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

agricola wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:39 pm The book of Revelation is in the Roman Catholic Bible, all right. Look at Dante's Inferno, or the art of Heironymus Bosch, or Michelangelo and others.
But among Roman Catholics, there is more 'Church Tradition' than 'read the Bible for yourself and you will understand it'.
Sorry I gave the wrong info. I was sure I had read that.
agricola

Post by agricola »

It's an interesting question. The RC Bibles ARE different from a standard Protestant version - however, the RC Bibles typically contain MORE books, not fewer:
The Catholic Bible is composed of the 46 books of the Old Testament and the 27 books of the New Testament.
Deuterocanon

Tobit, Judith, 1 Maccabees and 2 Maccabees, Wisdom, Sirach, Baruch, and additions to Esther and Daniel are the deuterocanonical books of the Bible.
Old Testament

Pentateuch: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy
Historical books: Joshua, Judges, Ruth, 1 Samuel, 2 Samuel, 1 Kings, 2 Kings, 1 Chronicles, 2 Chronicles, Ezra, Nehemiah, Tobit, Judith, Esther, 1 Maccabees, 2 Maccabees
Wisdom books: Job, Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Songs, Wisdom of Solomon, Sirach
Prophetic books: Isaiah, Jeremiah, Lamentations, Baruch, Ezekiel, Daniel, Hosea, Joel, Amos, Obadiah, Jonah, Micah, Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah, Haggai, Zechariah, Malachi

New Testament

The Gospels: Matthew, Mark, Luke, John
Historical book: Acts of the Apostles
Pauline epistles: Romans, 1 Corinthians, 2 Corinthians, Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, 1 Thessalonians, 2 Thessalonians, 1 Timothy, 2 Timothy, Titus, Philemon, Hebrews
General epistles: James, 1 Peter, 2 Peter, 1 John, 2 John, 3 John, Jude
Revelation

The Clementine Vulgate and the original Douay Rheims Bible also included in an appendix three apocrypha books; Prayer of Manasseh, 3 Esdras, and 4 Esdras.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.