The retired people were the worst!

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
Struggler

Re: The retired people were the worst!

Post by Struggler »

Ivy wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:20 am I remember one church where everyone had a badge they were supposed to put on when they arrived to punch their time card. That way, the elders could just count the empty spaces in the badge rack for attendance, and make lists to divide the sheep from the goats. :lol:
At one church, where my father preached, we had a board in the lobby with hooks. Each hook had a tag with the name of a person who attended there. You were to turn over your tag if you were present. Each service. For a time, they reversed that, adding a chart so you could see where your tag was. Also, anyone who was baptized had a red circle around his or her name, the color signifying you were "washed in the blood." Either way, someone noted who was and wasn't there.

At another church, a guy with a clipboard went around, looking to see who attended.

The church I went to in college would list the names of absentees in the following week's bulletin.

"We missed you" gradually became a flat-out "where were you?"
SolaDude

Post by SolaDude »

Struggler wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:36 pm At another church, a guy with a clipboard went around, looking to see who attended.

The church I went to in college would list the names of absentees in the following week's bulletin.

"We missed you" gradually became a flat-out "where were you?"
I now realize the explanation for enforced attendance at "chapel" or whatever they called it at ACC everyday. It was in a round stadium and you were assigned a seat. Photographs were taken each day to see who wasn't in their assigned seat. I don't remember clipboards or ID cards or red circles being mentioned by Paul.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Ivy,

I'm glad you didnt see it and pollute your eyes and mind.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx