The retired people were the worst!

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
OneStrike_ur_out

The retired people were the worst!

Post by OneStrike_ur_out »

I wanted to just haul off and punch some of the retired people. Not all of them were bad. Some were decent and when they retired, they didn't forget how hectic life can get when trying to hold down a job that takes the majority of your time and also trying to balance everything else under the sun. But a lot of them forgot what working was like just as soon as they turned off the lights in their office for the final time. The "we missed you" calls came mostly from them. And don't dare say you were tied up with work. NO!! Then you got the obligatory "that's not an excuse" lecture. And of course, in their revisionist history, they always managed to be front and center for all services, no matter how busy work got, blah blah blah. :lol:

Ohh...and don't get me started on the ones who never worked. There weren't many, but you'd get the occasional housewife who had never been in the workforce. If one of them said "missed you" and then your response was that you were working. well of course they would look at you like you were speaking Greek. I had one of them tell me once that I needed to "manage my time better". :lol:

DID SOME FREAKIN BODY FART AS LOUD AS A HORSE TOOT UP A SHIT TREE??
Last edited by OneStrike_ur_out on Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"HE HAS GOTTEN PULLED AWAY!!"-The cOC's go-to answer whenever someone leaves.
SolaDude

Re: The retired people were the worst!

Post by SolaDude »

OneStrike_ur_out wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:26 pm I wanted to just haul off and punch some of the retired people. Not all of them were bad. Some were decent and when they retired, they didn't forget how hectic life can get when trying to hold down a job that takes the majority of your time and also trying to balance everything else under the sun. But a lot of them forgot what working was like just as soon as they turned off the lights in their office for the final time. The "we missed you" calls came mostly from them. And don't dare say you were tied up with work. NO!! Then you got the obligatory "that's not an excuse" lecture. And of course, in their revisionist history, they always managed to be front and center for all services, no matter how busy work got, blah blah blah. :lol:

Ohh...and don't get me started on the ones who never worked. There weren't many, but you'd get the occasional housewife who had never been in the workforce. If one of them said "missed you" and then your response was that you were working. well of course they would look at you like you were speaking Greek. I had one of them tell me once that I needed to "manage my time better". :lol:
Interesting life experiences. I've never seen retired people singled out and assessed with blame of some kind,
Last edited by SolaDude on Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OneStrike_ur_out

By the way, how did "missed you" ever become code for "where were you?" Only in the cOC :lol:
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

OneStrike_ur_out wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:52 pm By the way, how did "missed you" ever become code for "where were you?" Only in the cOC :lol:
It has been the code phrase for "where were you" ever since I first started absenting myself from church (late teens, early 20s). Before that, not sure when they started using it. It's just a barely veiled attempt at nosiness, guilt-tripping, and keeping strays in the cult fold. So perhaps three birds or more with one stone.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
OneStrike_ur_out

SolaDude wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:49 pm
OneStrike_ur_out wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:26 pm I wanted to just haul off and punch some of the retired people. Not all of them were bad. Some were decent and when they retired, they didn't forget how hectic life can get when trying to hold down a job that takes the majority of your time and also trying to balance everything else under the sun. But a lot of them forgot what working was like just as soon as they turned off the lights in their office for the final time. The "we missed you" calls came mostly from them. And don't dare say you were tied up with work. NO!! Then you got the obligatory "that's not an excuse" lecture. And of course, in their revisionist history, they always managed to be front and center for all services, no matter how busy work got, blah blah blah. :lol:

Interesting life experiences. I've never seen retired people singled out and assessed with blame of some kind,
I’m talking about the hardliners in the cOC. Naturally not ALL retired people were like that. Some were. I’m talking about how once they retired, they sort of forgot what working life was like. Again, just some, certainly not all.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

This thread is getting weird and ridiculous even by my standard which you can ask any moderator here is very low.
Last edited by B.H. on Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

B.H. wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:31 pm This thread is getting weird and ridiculous even by standard which you can ask any moderator here is very low.
Thanks for giving me something to do. I deleted some stuff that was unnecessary and vulgar.

Weird, tho, that BH was the one noting a problem. I guess he knows where we draw the line because he frequently “walks that line” himself. :D Which reminds me a Johnny Cash song… :lol:

Thanks, your friendly and under-utilized Moderator, and who, BTW, is retired,
Moogy
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
teresa
Site Admin

Post by teresa »

One Strike

In the CoC I was baptized at (in my mid-twenties-- before that I was an atheist) they had a huge chart on the back wall where they literally checked off who was in attendance each Sunday morning and evening.

When I was absent one week an elder called me, which I appreciated as a sign of caring. In retrospect, I still think it was a sign of caring, but I had spent time visiting with this elder and his wife in their home on multiple occasions, and I knew they cared about me. I think if a random member had said something to me, I would likely have felt judged, just as you did.

Later on, I am sorry to say, that as a CoC preacher's wife I thought of people who came three times a week as more dedicated, more spiritual than others. I wasn't able to put myself in the shoes of others who had different circumstances than myself.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Moogy wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:42 pm
B.H. wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:31 pm This thread is getting weird and ridiculous even by standard which you can ask any moderator here is very low.
Thanks for giving me something to do. I deleted some stuff that was unnecessary and vulgar.

Weird, tho, that BH was the one noting a problem. I guess he knows where we draw the line because he frequently “walks that line” himself. :D Which reminds me a Johnny Cash song… :lol:

Thanks, your friendly and under-utilized Moderator, and who, BTW, is retired,
Moogy
If BH felt he needed to report something, it must have been bad. I missed it, whatever it was.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

I remember one church where everyone had a badge they were supposed to put on when they arrived to punch their time card. That way, the elders could just count the empty spaces in the badge rack for attendance, and make lists to divide the sheep from the goats. :lol: