Snake Handling

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
longdistancerunner

Snake Handling

Post by longdistancerunner »

One thing I never heard discussed was Mark 16:17–18 which says those that believe will handle snakes and take poison. Almost all biblical scholars think this is a passage added to the Bible by scribes however it is in most translations (some have a note about this). My question is when people say every word of the New Testament is true how do they address this issue? I attended CoC for many years and never heard this discussed. What about others?
Moogy

Re: Snake Handling

Post by Moogy »

Our preachers got around this by preaching that the age of miracles is now over.
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
Ivy

Re: Snake Handling

Post by Ivy »

I bet a lot of devout people have died from trying this. Very sad.

Just one of several articles in Wiki about the practice of snake handling:

h**ps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_handling_in_Christianity

The snake handling movement leader, George Went Hensley, eventually died of....a snake bite.

I guess we should be very glad that someone in cofc didn't decide that this fit into the CENI model. (Command? Example? Necessary Inference? ...)
:shock: :o :shock: :o :shock: :o
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~