Disciples of Christ

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
longdistancerunner

Disciples of Christ

Post by longdistancerunner »

Two things I never heard mentioned in CoC were the Disciples of Christ which is part of the original restoration movement, I have never heard them denounced or discussed and I wonder why? In Waynesboro TN there used to be a a CoC either adjacent or just across the street of from a DoC may also be called First Christian Church. The DoC churches often have a symbol associated with them with a wine goblet with a cross. Anyway the DoC to me seems closer to the Stone Campbell original movement than the CoC. For some reason what we call the CoC became radically more conservative. However I think the CoC colleges embrace the Stone Campbell history.
FinallyFree

Re: Disciples of Christ

Post by FinallyFree »

I am a member of a Disciples of Christ Church. It is wonderful and the way they interpret things makes a lot of sense.
SolaDude

Post by SolaDude »

As I recall, the DoC really was the original "root" of the Restoration movement from which the CofC and the Independent CofCs broke away from.
SolaDude

Post by SolaDude »

FinallyFree wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:28 pm I am a member of a Disciples of Christ Church. It is wonderful and the way they interpret things makes a lot of sense.
FF, is there still a majority who are hard right-wing politically like in CofCs?
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

Soladude, there are many Democrats at my church and people who don’t like Trump. The DOC Church is more liberal and open minded. They are not Biblical literalists. We have some gay members.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

There were two Christian Churches here in Corsicana. the First Christian Church across from HEB burned and relocated out by the high school. they fought and bickered and ended up closing down. there is a 13th Ave Christian on the east side of town . it is mostly a black congregation. First Christian was disciples of christ, 13th I'm told is just a church of christ with instruments theologically.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
SolaDude

Post by SolaDude »

FinallyFree wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:50 am Soladude, there are many Democrats at my church and people who don’t like Trump. The DOC Church is more liberal and open minded. They are not Biblical literalists. We have some gay members.
That's very interesting. Also, can't United Church of Christ and Disciples of Christ pastors preach in each church, like they're interchangeable?
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

SolaDude wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:14 pm [quote=FinallyFree post_id=46109 time=<a href="tel:1641829813">1641829813</a> user_id=359]
Soladude, there are many Democrats at my church and people who don’t like Trump. The DOC Church is more liberal and open minded. They are not Biblical literalists. We have some gay members.
That's very interesting. Also, can't United Church of Christ and Disciples of Christ pastors preach in each church, like they're interchangeable?
[/quote]

Soladude, yes, our minister has discussed preaching in United Church of Christ churches. I think the UCofC is even more liberal, though.
OneStrike_ur_out

Post by OneStrike_ur_out »

Moss rock moss rock mighty moss rock, mighty bicycles, moss rock!! QUIT!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"HE HAS GOTTEN PULLED AWAY!!"-The cOC's go-to answer whenever someone leaves.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

OneStrike_ur_out wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:16 am Moss rock moss rock mighty moss rock, mighty bicycles, moss rock!! QUIT!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
OneStrike, are you ok?
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~