Women taking role in Bible classes and 1 Timothy 2:12

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
longdistancerunner

Women taking role in Bible classes and 1 Timothy 2:12

Post by longdistancerunner »

I always wondered why in the Sunday school classes and other Bible classes in the CoC I always saw women actively participate in discussions when there are numerous biblical passages that say women are not supposed to speak in the church and to be subordinate to men such as 1 Timothy 2:12. I heard this and similar passages discussed but I never heard anyone say to a woman that they weren't supposed to speak in a Bible class. Did anyone ever see this contradiction discussed?
Ivy

Re: Women taking role in Bible classes and 1 Timothy 2:12

Post by Ivy »

I'm going to guess that a lot of cofcs decided that was cultural during bible times, and that it was ok for women to speak from their seats. :roll:
Kind of like the long hair thing...they decided it was cultural and women could have short hair without endangering their eternal souls.

That said, I imagine that many churches have split over this very issue.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

The way I remember it, women could speak in Bible Class, but not during the assembly for worship. And they couldn’t lead a Bible Class if there was a man present.
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Moogy wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:23 pm The way I remember it, women could speak in Bible Class, but not during the assembly for worship. And they couldn’t lead a Bible Class if there was a man present.
Or a 10 year old boy if he'd been baptized. :roll:
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
SolaDude

Post by SolaDude »

The banning of women just doesn't jibe with the entire Bible, making that one scriputure from I Timothy that the CofC hangs its hat on stick out like a sore thumb. I hope you all will check out the brief article below describing 10 instances of women leading and speaking out, including instances in the patriarchal Old Testament. Yes, the author is a feminist minister and may have a lifestyle not condoned by the CofC, but her arguments and the scriptural stories themselves speak for themselves. Probably the most concise (and excellent) article I've ever read on the issue. Issue closed for me.

For example, her argument that the entire WORD OF GOD came into the world from Mary, it grew in her and emanated to the world through her. What an amazing concept, I had never thought of it that way.

Plus, you've got to explain "neither male nor female" in Christianity proffered by the same Paul. The CofC, of course, highlights that passage with its black magic marker. You can't have it both ways, Paul would otherwise be lying in either one of those passages.

h**ps://sojo.net/articles/what-does-bible-say-about-women-ministry-pastor-preaching-church