Ridiculous reasons for splits....

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
FinallyFree

Re: Ridiculous reasons for splits....

Post by FinallyFree »

Zeek, I agree with your description of the CofC selling an unattractive product. When I think about no Christmas or Easter celebration or music or women not being able to participate, it would not be an appealing church to anyone who was not raised in that.
Last edited by FinallyFree on Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

It's not a very appealing "brand" to today's consumer driven society. :P
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

I guess Santa Claus is going to leave the elders and deacons coal in their stockings again this year.🤣
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Struggler

Post by Struggler »

Ivy wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:34 pm It's not a very appealing "brand" to today's consumer driven society. :P
You’re right. And people are brand conscious of everything now.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

The Catholic and Baptist are Adidas and Nike. The Church of Christ is Walmart brand. :lol:
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
faithandmore

Post by faithandmore »

B.H. wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:38 pm The Catholic and Baptist are Adidas and Nike. The Church of Christ is Walmart brand. :lol:
If you lurk in C of C groups online, all they talk about is how they can stop dying, and how they can attract new members without sacrificing scriptural correctness. It's so futile, it reminds me of Nora Desmond's dreams of returning to stardom (in her 50s) in the movie Sunset Boulevard
SolaDude

Post by SolaDude »

faithandmore wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:01 am
B.H. wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:38 pm The Catholic and Baptist are Adidas and Nike. The Church of Christ is Walmart brand. :lol:
If you lurk in C of C groups online, all they talk about is how they can stop dying, and how they can attract new members without sacrificing scriptural correctness. It's so futile, it reminds me of Nora Desmond's dreams of returning to stardom (in her 50s) in the movie Sunset Boulevard
Futile is the word. I never understood "scriptural correctness", but that's what they worship. To be the hands and feet of Jesus is completely irrelevant in their theological construct, IMO. Jesus himself never mentioned correctness as the avenue, but rather simply a repentance and turning to Him. Honestly, I don't see the CofC anywhere near that wavelength where they conceptualize putting their trust/dependence in Jesus(God). Their trust is in the "correctness" of their interpretation of scripture, like they have solved the code, kinda like the movie "National Treasure" where they were looking for a code in the U.S. Constitution. So, where does that leave the illiterate?
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

faithandmore wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:01 am
I have been tempted to lurk on their sites. Do you have to give your real name and/or state you are a current member? I guess the Facebook groups would show my real name. I have way too many COC relatives who would spot my name. 8-)
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
OneStrike_ur_out

Post by OneStrike_ur_out »

The congregation I was a member of during my 2nd stint in the cOC started to relax on a lot of things in hopes of attracting more members. They didn't frown on anyone who was divorced and remarried, even multiple times. They got super chill with the dress code, or expected standard of dress. It got SO chill, that people started wearing shorts on Sunday morning. A little TOO chill :lol: And the guy heading up the Lord's table looked freaking HOMELESS :lol: Blue jeans, wrinkled t shirt (that he had worn to do some painting before services) converse high tops, hadn't shaved, disheveled hair :lol:
"HE HAS GOTTEN PULLED AWAY!!"-The cOC's go-to answer whenever someone leaves.
faithandmore

Post by faithandmore »

OneStrike_ur_out wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:31 am The congregation I was a member of during my 2nd stint in the cOC started to relax on a lot of things in hopes of attracting more members. They didn't frown on anyone who was divorced and remarried, even multiple times. They got super chill with the dress code, or expected standard of dress. It got SO chill, that people started wearing shorts on Sunday morning. A little TOO chill :lol: And the guy heading up the Lord's table looked freaking HOMELESS :lol: Blue jeans, wrinkled t shirt (that he had worn to do some painting before services) converse high tops, hadn't shaved, disheveled hair :lol:
They truly are getting desperate to keep whatever members they have left.

It would be interesting to know in terms of numbers, just how fast the C of C is dying.