Mixed Swimming discussions

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
longdistancerunner

Mixed Swimming discussions

Post by longdistancerunner »

Mixed swimming and that is not mixed race swimming but rather males and females swimming together (heaven forbid!). This was always forbidden and the party line in my experience but it seemed one that nobody really believed in other than the preachers. I have checked and very few CoC colleges have swimming pools, I found one that did and they had separate days for men and women. I wonder if anyone has heard any discussion of this and is it still a practice that the preachers feel is forbidden. Also I had a preacher who actually preached it was unbiblical for women to wear pants in the church.
agricola

Re: Mixed Swimming discussions

Post by agricola »

When I went to church camp in the summer when I was a kid, EVERYTHING was gender separated except church/services. Everything else was completely gender separated, except we saw the boys at meals - ACROSS the table - we never could sit next to a boy, only across the table from them (better, across the ROOM).
It was rare indeed that we did anything together that didn't involve religious classes or services or 'vespers' (singing).
So yes, the swimming pool was sex segregated, but so was horseback riding, sports and arts and crafts stuff.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
faithandmore

Post by faithandmore »

longdistancerunner wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:52 pm Mixed swimming and that is not mixed race swimming but rather males and females swimming together (heaven forbid!). This was always forbidden and the party line in my experience but it seemed one that nobody really believed in other than the preachers. I have checked and very few CoC colleges have swimming pools, I found one that did and they had separate days for men and women. I wonder if anyone has heard any discussion of this and is it still a practice that the preachers feel is forbidden. Also I had a preacher who actually preached it was unbiblical for women to wear pants in the church.
Harding U. had a swimming pool for PE credits for swimming class. But the swimming classes were women only.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Have y'all ever looked at "modest swimwear", or "modest clothing" on Google? They have clothing now that the cofc in our past would have
completely loved. We really didn't have anything back then to wear. I never learned to swim because of the "modest swimming" thing...well, not until I was 50...finally took swimming lessons and might be able to save myself now if necessary.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
SolaDude

Post by SolaDude »

I remember that issue as really infuriating my Mom, she thought the rationale given her by the elders was absolutely ridiculous (and she was so right): that the girls could get pregnant, you know, those sperm can swim anywhere I guess, evidently just decide to start swimming from a little boy's genitalia when he steps in a swimming pool, looking for an egg to impregnate. Oh my, the ignorance of humanity, it transcends everywhere and everything.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

lol. that's a new one. I thought it was forbidden because they boys would see the outlines of womens bodies and lust.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

SolaDude wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:33 pm I remember that issue as really infuriating my Mom, she thought the rationale given her by the elders was absolutely ridiculous (and she was so right): that the girls could get pregnant, you know, those sperm can swim anywhere I guess, evidently just decide to start swimming from a little boy's genitalia when he steps in a swimming pool, looking for an egg to impregnate. Oh my, the ignorance of humanity, it transcends everywhere and everything.
Those same elders are now running the Texas government. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

I'd say to these parents, don't keep your kids / daughters out of the water because of your own irrational fears. Find them a "modest" swimsuit and let them learn to swim; teach them to be comfortable in the water.

And as to sperm swimming through pool water to impregnate, someone needs to take the elders aside and talk to them about the birds and the bees; how it all works, or give them the book How Babies are Made :lol:
zeek

Post by zeek »

SolaDude wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:33 pm I remember that issue as really infuriating my Mom, she thought the rationale given her by the elders was absolutely ridiculous (and she was so right): that the girls could get pregnant, you know, those sperm can swim anywhere I guess, evidently just decide to start swimming from a little boy's genitalia when he steps in a swimming pool, looking for an egg to impregnate. Oh my, the ignorance of humanity, it transcends everywhere and everything.
This is how the elders' pure and chaste, still virgin daughters got pregnant. :oops:
"All things are difficult before they are easy."(found in a fortune cookie)
"We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the oppressed. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Forgetting isn't healing." Elie Wiesel
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

zeek wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:58 pm
This is how the elders' pure and chaste, still virgin daughters got pregnant. :oops:
Exactly what I was thinking!! How many cofc sons and daughters have convinced Daddy that this was the case? They
won't give up that cherished idea easily. :lol: :lol: :lol: