Best books on CoC history

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
longdistancerunner

Best books on CoC history

Post by longdistancerunner »

I was wondering what people have found to be the best books to read regarding CoC history. I have the book Reviving the Ancient Faith by Hughes which is good, has a lot of interesting material. There is a series of old books by West, a set of four, entitled Reviving the Ancient Order that I have seen, has anyone found these good and of the four volumes are all of them interesting. Suggestions of other books would be helpful.
Ivy

Re: Best books on CoC history

Post by Ivy »

I would suggest anything by Leroy Garrett. I haven't read the ones you mentioned.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

There is a rather pricey academic book titled “The Encyclopedia of the Stone-Campbell Movement.” Different sections were written by different authors, including one short piece by my nephew. My nephew was a mainline COC preacher, later a minister for Disciples of Christ. He is currently a Unitarian Universalist minister. 😱

You might find this book in a library. When I googled it, I found one for $48 for an ebook version. The printed version is a hefty hardback with small print.
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Leroy Garrett had a book called The Stone Campbell Movement. it was pretty neutral over the doctrinal disputes and stuck to history.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
SolaDude

Post by SolaDude »

Here's a list:

h**ps://christianhistoryinstitute.org/magazine/article/recommended-resources-stone-campbell
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

My nephew was a mainline COC preacher, later a minister for Disciples of Christ. He is currently a Unitarian Universalist minister. 😱
Moogy!! I didn't know that. Good for him!!
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

Ivy wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:09 am
My nephew was a mainline COC preacher, later a minister for Disciples of Christ. He is currently a Unitarian Universalist minister. 😱
UU is a recent development for him.
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
SolaDude

Post by SolaDude »

Moogy wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:22 am
Ivy wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:09 am
UU is a recent development for him.
It would be interesting to hear him describe his faith journey. Both atheists and Satanists can be found in UU groups out there, so it's quite an inclusive group!!
agricola

Post by agricola »

Leroy Garrett's books are CoC apologetics par excellence. He quite amusingly denied ever seeing any CoC teaching most of the crazy stuff every one of us remembers so well.

But he did have an insider's knowledge of CoC HISTORY, though he really had a blind spot about the effects of some doctrines.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

He quite amusingly denied ever seeing any CoC teaching most of the crazy stuff every one of us remembers so well.
What I remember is that he knew the cofc's shortcomings and craziness very well. He stuck with them fully aware of their faults and foibles, and the consequences thereof.

What did you read that gave you that impression? If anything, he was more of a "unity in diversity" advocate, and didn't agree with the distortions and derailment he saw in the cofc during his lifetime.