Preachers becoming lawyers.

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
longdistancerunner

Preachers becoming lawyers.

Post by longdistancerunner »

In the Church I grew up in there were three ministers who went on to become lawyers. I think they found preaching gave them plenty of time to pursue their legal studies. I don't know if they still continued in church work after they became lawyers. One became a lawyer for street walkers and developed a comedy routine he performed in night clubs about being a lawyer for the ladies of the evening.

I dated a girl who father was a minister. She said he wasn't religious and just took up the ministry because it was the easiest work he could find. He didn't go to church after he retired.
Ivy

Re: Preachers becoming lawyers.

Post by Ivy »

In the cofc, they need in-house attorneys. So hey, good "tentmaking" activity. :lol:
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
SolaDude

Post by SolaDude »

longdistancerunner wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:21 pm I dated a girl who father was a minister. She said he wasn't religious and just took up the ministry because it was the easiest work he could find. He didn't go to church after he retired.
Was he a CofC minister? What did his daughter think of religion?
longdistancerunner

Post by longdistancerunner »

No he was one of the liturgical protestant denominations, can't remember which. She was not religious at all. Really didn't have an opinion on religion.
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

longdistancerunner wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:21 pm I dated a girl who father was a minister. She said he wasn't religious and just took up the ministry because it was the easiest work he could find. He didn't go to church after he retired.
I can see someone thinking that the work of a COC preacher could be easy. I think it would be difficult to become a mainline Protestant preacher. They have to get a graduate degree from seminary, which includes taking Greek and maybe Latin. To preach in some congregations of the COC, no education is required. My parents had a preacher who never finished high school.
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
SolaDude

Post by SolaDude »

Moogy wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:58 am
I can see someone thinking that the work of a COC preacher could be easy. I think it would be difficult to become a mainline Protestant preacher. They have to get a graduate degree from seminary, which includes taking Greek and maybe Latin. To preach in some congregations of the COC, no education is required. My parents had a preacher who never finished high school.
You know, it seems that in the CofC, everything depends on the elders anyway. Depending on their level of spiritual maturity (and I use that term tongue-in-cheek), whatever they believe and approve goes to the pulpit. So, if the elders can find someone who doesn't even have a high school education to tow their line, that's all that matters, ISTM. A lot cheaper, too.

I remember going to a few elder's meetings when I was in the CofC. Never a one was opened with a prayer, nor was there ever a prayer said for anything. I guess that's because of their belief that the solution to all problems is found by reading scripture and that prayers can only go up nowadays to thank God for the weather, our health, and that their adherents can meet without fear of molestation. Which are all valid, don't get me wrong. But really I can't think of a more impotent God to believe in than the CofC God. In the final analysis, IMO the CofC can be summed up as a group that believes God is really secondary and quite inconsequential to their overall mission, that being to worship and adore a printed text.