Old Testament sermons predominate.

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
SolaDude

Re: Old Testament sermons predominate.

Post by SolaDude »

longdistancerunner wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 2:06 pm Actually I think they are just trying to find something to talk about in their sermons. The New Testament really doesn't have much interesting, Can you imagine teaching just from the New Testament twice Sunday and also teaching classes on Sunday and Wednesday night like most preachers do for say 20-30 years. There just is not that much material.
I can understand your perspective given what I've heard you say about your "church". I'm not sure how one would unpack such learning, it's so adverse to Christianity, it's almost a hopeless endeavor, it would seem to me.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

I will say this: when I was really heavily into it (the Christian faith in general, not specifically c/c), it seemed like the NT held abundant material for learning. It seemed magical, like you could look into it every day or several times a day and glean something new.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
longdistancerunner

Post by longdistancerunner »

SolaDude wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 2:20 pm [qI can understand your perspective given what I've heard you say about your "church". I'm not sure how one would unpack such learning, it's so adverse to Christianity, it's almost a hopeless endeavor, it would seem to me.
[/quote]

Its not "my church" it is my relatives, I just go there sometime for family issues and this is my observation. I am more of a Bart Ehrman type. However he strongly disagrees about Paul being the founder of the Christian church, but it makes sense to me and many others, it is a question of perspective I think.
Last edited by longdistancerunner on Mon May 30, 2022 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
longdistancerunner

Post by longdistancerunner »

Ivy wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 3:15 pm I will say this: when I was really heavily into it (the Christian faith in general, not specifically c/c), it seemed like the NT held abundant material for learning. It seemed magical, like you could look into it every day or several times a day and glean something new.
I can understand what you are saying, but I think the magical feeling is just an obsession which results from faith (as Mark Twain said "faith is believing in something you know isn't true", I actually heard that quote used by a CoC preacher). People have spent their whole lives studying Lincoln's Gettysburg address, there are multiple books written on it, but it really was pretty simple. Many English teachers spend their whole careers primarily analyzing one authors work or in some cases one book. I guess you can take anything to a deeper level. However, I think the whole New Testament is pretty simple at a basic level, it becomes more complex if you try to understand it in historical context.
SolaDude

Post by SolaDude »

longdistancerunner wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 5:04 pm
SolaDude wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 2:20 pm [qI can understand your perspective given what I've heard you say about your "church". I'm not sure how one would unpack such learning, it's so adverse to Christianity, it's almost a hopeless endeavor, it would seem to me.
Its not "my church" it is my relatives, I just go there sometime for family issues and this is my observation. I am more of a Bart Ehrman type. However he strongly disagrees about Paul being the founder of the Christian church, but it makes sense to me and many others, it is a question of perspective I think.
[/quote]

The only people I can think of who would, with a straight face, make a statement that Paul was the founder of the Christian church, would be someone in the CofC, it seems to me. I think many CofC'ers in their heart of hearts, whether consciously or sub-consciously, consider it the "Church of Paul".

Do you ever hear any scripture readings from any of the four gospels in your relatives' church?
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

longdistancerunner wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 5:11 pm
Ivy wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 3:15 pm I will say this: when I was really heavily into it (the Christian faith in general, not specifically c/c), it seemed like the NT held abundant material for learning. It seemed magical, like you could look into it every day or several times a day and glean something new.
I can understand what you are saying, but I think the magical feeling is just an obsession which results from faith (as Mark Twain said "faith is believing in something you know isn't true", I actually heard that quote used by a CoC preacher). People have spent their whole lives studying Lincoln's Gettysburg address, there are multiple books written on it, but it really was pretty simple. Many English teachers spend their whole careers primarily analyzing one authors work or in some cases one book. I guess you can take anything to a deeper level. However, I think the whole New Testament is pretty simple at a basic level, it becomes more complex if you try to understand it in historical context.
Oh, of course. I'm just recalling how it seemed to me at that time. That was many years ago.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~