Proper clothing for preaching!

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
longdistancerunner

Proper clothing for preaching!

Post by longdistancerunner »

I was told in the older days (50's and 60's I guess) wearing a suit, particularly for preachers was absolutely mandatory. There was a story about Foy Wallace preaching in a hot church without air conditioning and he took his coat off much to the offense of many. Someone told the people knowing that Foy had grown up on a farm that they had better be glad his coat was all he took off!
SolaDude

Re: Proper clothing for preaching!

Post by SolaDude »

I remember that oh so well. "Dress for the Lord". Your "Sunday's best". It helps everyone sort out the rich from the poor, you know. I'm sure some went to my church to see who's wearing the latest fashion trend. BUT, OH, WATCH OUT.....Sunday and Wednesday evenings were a whole 'nother story.
I guess God is more relaxed and less formal in the evening.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

longdistancerunner wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:46 pm There was a story about Foy Wallace preaching in a hot church without air conditioning and he took his coat off much to the offense of many. Someone told the people knowing that Foy had grown up on a farm that they had better be glad his coat was all he took off!
HAHAHA!!! BH, your role model!!!

Thank goodness he didn't, because we never would have been able to unsee that.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Shane R

Post by Shane R »

I've noticed a more casual style prevailing. I can't remember my grandfather ever setting out to preach without a jacket and tie. In many of the little rural churches he visited around Kentucky and West Virginia he was the only male that wore that combo. My father always wears the tie but sometimes he'll go with a sweater instead of a jacket, looking rather like an English professor or a low church Presbyterian. My generation will sometimes even sport a polo shirt. The older crowd that primarily tours on the Gospel Meeting circuit seem to have kept to the habit of packing 3 or 4 full suits.

Some of this is sort of regional. For example, when I lived in South Carolina the jacket was much more common than anywhere else I've been, even though it's hot and swampy half of the year. I don't think I've ever seen a CoC preacher dawn a headset microphone. I've seen them use the lapel mics but never the headset.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

I remember hearing that you should wear your best to church, and also that you should get plenty of rest on Saturday, early to bed, etc., so you'll be at your best at church on Sunday. I remember feeling irritated by that, because they had us for three services a week, and now they wanted to ruin Saturday as well, the one day we had sort of "free". :roll: :P :lol:
SolaDude

Post by SolaDude »

Ivy wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:16 pm I remember hearing that you should wear your best to church, and also that you should get plenty of rest on Saturday, early to bed, etc., so you'll be at your best at church on Sunday. I remember feeling irritated by that, because they had us for three services a week, and now they wanted to ruin Saturday as well, the one day we had sort of "free". :roll: :P :lol:
Yes. And Sunday nights! Missed Ed Sullivan, Walt Disney's World of Color, and other shows, can't remember them all now. Kinda wanted to see Popo Gijo on Sunday nights.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Wizard of Oz. I don't think I saw that until I was grown. Or maybe I was home sick on Sunday night, can't recall.

Popo Gigio!! I remember him. Had forgotten about that one. What show was he on?
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Ivy wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:40 am
longdistancerunner wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:46 pm There was a story about Foy Wallace preaching in a hot church without air conditioning and he took his coat off much to the offense of many. Someone told the people knowing that Foy had grown up on a farm that they had better be glad his coat was all he took off!
HAHAHA!!! BH, your role model!!!

Thank goodness he didn't, because we never would have been able to unsee that.
I approve what Foy did this time.😁
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
faithandmore

Post by faithandmore »

longdistancerunner wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:46 pm I was told in the older days (50's and 60's I guess) wearing a suit, particularly for preachers was absolutely mandatory. There was a story about Foy Wallace preaching in a hot church without air conditioning and he took his coat off much to the offense of many. Someone told the people knowing that Foy had grown up on a farm that they had better be glad his coat was all he took off!
Never see suits anymore except in the courtroom.

I remember when men wore suspenders.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

B.H. wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:00 pm I approve what Foy did this time.😁
I have to tell y'all, I had never heard of Foy Wallace until I "met" BH on here, years ago. I think he was BH's definite favorite of all the colorful cofc characters. Foy even has his own Wiki page!!

h**ps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foy_E._Wallace