Praise Singers

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
longdistancerunner

Praise Singers

Post by longdistancerunner »

I have heard that the more liberal CoC's have praise singers. There is much resistance to this in the more conservative churches but I haven't heard any reason why this is thought to be wrong. Any thoughts?
agricola

Re: Praise Singers

Post by agricola »

It's new. Therefore it isn't approved' and probably it also isn't 'decently and in order', right?
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
zeek

Post by zeek »

longdistancerunner wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:31 pm I have heard that the more liberal CoC's have praise singers. There is much resistance to this in the more conservative churches but I haven't heard any reason why this is thought to be wrong. Any thoughts?
It is viewed as sneaking in a choir, only having them dispersed in the crowd rather than assembled in one place. As Agri, noted, it is "new and different" therefore, it can't be right.
"All things are difficult before they are easy."(found in a fortune cookie)
"We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the oppressed. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Forgetting isn't healing." Elie Wiesel
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

So silly…getting so wound up about such a non-issue. But that’s the way they roll.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

I am not sure I am picturing this right. These praise singers sit in their usual spot in the auditorium, but they sing without the rest of the congregation joining in? They don’t sit on the front pew? How do visitors know they aren't supposed to sing? Definitely does not sound “decently and in order”!
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
longdistancerunner

Post by longdistancerunner »

The ones I have seen stand with microphones (wireless) just behind and usually to the side of the song leader on the stage. And they are an adjunct to the song leader, they do not perform separately from the audience who still sings.
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

longdistancerunner wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:36 pm The ones I have seen stand with microphones (wireless) just behind and usually to the side of the song leader on the stage. And they are an adjunct to the song leader, they do not perform separately from the audience who still sings.
Sounds like a choir to me! No choir robes, I assume, but lots of churches don’t use those.
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

I bet Moogy, ivy, and agricola would in the praise team just to make Baxtell Barrett Baxter roll in his grave.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

B.H. wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:16 am I bet Moogy, ivy, and agricola would in the praise team just to make Baxtell Barrett Baxter roll in his grave.
Did I mention that I have a dear friend, a singer, who is related to triple B?
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
zeek

Post by zeek »

longdistancerunner wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:36 pm The ones I have seen stand with microphones (wireless) just behind and usually to the side of the song leader on the stage. And they are an adjunct to the song leader, they do not perform separately from the audience who still sings.
The ones I've heard about around here sit in their pews scattered about the auditorium and sing with microphones. They are, basically, song leaders for each voice group. AND, frankly, there is as much "scriptural authority" to have a song leader for each voice group as there is to have one song leader for the entire congregation. Strictly speaking, that is "NONE".
"All things are difficult before they are easy."(found in a fortune cookie)
"We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the oppressed. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Forgetting isn't healing." Elie Wiesel