Church of Christ Madness - Vote on the worst doctrine

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
AlexanderCamilton

Church of Christ Madness - Vote on the worst doctrine

Post by AlexanderCamilton »

I've often thought about what the worst teachings of the church were, or just for fun what the most silly or unique coC specific beliefs. I've combined those two and created Church of Christ Madness. We are in the Sinful Sixteen and someone shared this website with me and said it might be of interest here.

You can vote directly on this round, or just give your opinions below, and discuss who you think should be in the Final 4. And if you want to see the previous round you can check out my ex-coC meme and informational page @exchurchofchrist on instagram

VOTE HERE - https://freeonlinesurveys.com/s/21HK0qqI
Ivy

Re: Church of Christ Madness - Vote on the worst doctrine

Post by Ivy »

HAHA took the survery; that was great.

Some were a difficult choice.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
AlexanderCamilton

Thanks for voting! It was hard just to narrow them down to 32. I left so many good ones out. Next year I want to ask for ideas from others on what should be included.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

One of them, the "grooming" and SA thing, I fortunately never saw or experienced in the cofcs of my childhood / adulthood. I do know it happened in a few scattered congregations. The only thing I remember hearing is mama saying "don't stand to close to brother ______________", (a special needs adult member), because he would try to "get too close to you", sideways hug you, etc.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

AlexanderCamilton wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:31 am Thanks for voting! It was hard just to narrow them down to 32. I left so many good ones out. Next year I want to ask for ideas from others on what should be included.
If I had to pick one that is the absolute worst, I think it would be that they believe other groups are not christian, only them. With that one dismantled, the rest of their doctrines crumble.
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

Did I just see this same survey posted on reddit/excoc?
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
AlexanderCamilton

You did. I just found this site due to reddit. I've been looking for a larger Exers community than reddit. But every facebook group or message board I find is either not inclusive, inactive/few members, and normally both.
agricola

Post by agricola »

Some of those choices are really simply variants of 'women are subordinate' generally.

My 'least favorite' teaching of the coc, is the institutionalizing of fear and the whole 'be ye perfect'.

groupthink and thought control - some call this legalism, but a denomination can be 'legalistic' without the extreme black/white - in fact, GOOD legal thought is naturally full of grays and details NEVER 'black/white'. In the coc, every question is a 'salvation' question, and it is 100 or nothing.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
agricola

Post by agricola »

Hey AlexanderCamilton - stop by the 'welcome' thread and introduce yourself, and feel free to browse all the discussions in any of the forums, and any topic you want to bring back to life - just comment on it, and it will pop up to the top.

We aren't as active as we once were, but there is a LOT archived, and if you post - comments, questions, whatever - you will get responses!

Enjoy.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
AlexanderCamilton

agricola wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:30 pm Some of those choices are really simply variants of 'women are subordinate' generally.

My 'least favorite' teaching of the coc, is the institutionalizing of fear and the whole 'be ye perfect'.

groupthink and thought control - some call this legalism, but a denomination can be 'legalistic' without the extreme black/white - in fact, GOOD legal thought is naturally full of grays and details NEVER 'black/white'. In the coc, every question is a 'salvation' question, and it is 100 or nothing.
So I started with 64. Some very general and some very specific though redundant. The women's and children's issues have seemed to outperform doctrinal issues or coC-isms. I did not expect some of these to still be standing at 16.