Church of Christ and Disciples of Christ church colocated in Waynesboro TN.

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
longdistancerunner

Church of Christ and Disciples of Christ church colocated in Waynesboro TN.

Post by longdistancerunner »

While visiting Shiloh battlefield several times I have been to Waynesboro TN. There I noticed previously what I considered a very strange thing, a Church of Christ immediately across the stress from a Disciples of Christ church. Waynesboro is a very small town with a population of about 2500 but lots of churches (about 30). After I saw this for the first time I looked on a google map and did not see this, so I went back and I was right, in fact there are two Churches of Christ across the street from the DoC (First Christian Church). Since the CoC is a splinter of the DoC I wonder if the location of these churches has any history or is just a random event.
B.H.

Re: Church of Christ and Disciples of Christ church colocated in Waynesboro TN.

Post by B.H. »

Do the buildings look old?
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

That is interesting.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

My city of Corsicana has a population of right under thirty thousand but lots of churches . Most I'm told are in the teen numbers or twenties. We have a few big ones. I know the Baptists had lots of splits and believe it or not the Churches of Christ have always fellowshipped each other regardless of their views on institutionalism, one cup, no Sunday school, ect. I'm told the Church of Christ never actually went to the trouble to disfellowship the Christian Church either.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

One thing I noticed about history is that CoC preachers used to hound the Christian Church about splitting the church over instruments. When you look into history of individual congregations you often find a congregation of a hundred decided to use them and five got mad a left. Coc preacher make it out that maybe half opposed instruments or most did and evil elders conspired and threw out those wanting the trooof.
longdistancerunner

Post by longdistancerunner »

B.H. wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:32 pm Do the buildings look old?
The DoC church looks old but the two CoC's look like typical churches built in the 60's. This is not that far from Freed Hardeman University in Henderson TN and there are tons of fundamentalist churches in the area, some really strange ones. I drove in Henderson (always drive by FH when in the area to make sure the students are conforming to the dress code, but now that can have mid thigh length shorts, not long ago that could only be a credit care above the knee) and saw one that really interested me the First Christian Liberty Church. I have no idea what kind of church that is, but it is within walking distance of FHU. FHU students would probably be expelled from attending there!