CoC new translation?

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
Ivy

Re: CoC new translation?

Post by Ivy »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Moogy wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:50 pm I knew a W.L. Wharton in Texas. Was it him?

I remember that name too. He probably did “gospel meetings” at my childhood church.
Shane R

Post by Shane R »

To make a halfway decent Bible translation you need a commitee, which sounds suspiciously like an institution. Between the general disdain for organization and the pool of qualified translators not amounting to more than half a dozen men, a Bible translation could never emerge from the NI wing.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Shane R wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:50 pm To make a halfway decent Bible translation you need a commitee, which sounds suspiciously like an institution. Between the general disdain for organization and the pool of qualified translators not amounting to more than half a dozen men, a Bible translation could never emerge from the NI wing.
Exactly!! I couldn’t imagine!!
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Ivy wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:40 am
Shane R wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:50 pm To make a halfway decent Bible translation you need a commitee, which sounds suspiciously like an institution. Between the general disdain for organization and the pool of qualified translators not amounting to more than half a dozen men, a Bible translation could never emerge from the NI wing.
Exactly!! I couldn’t imagine!!
Just curious, Shane. Since you are "in the field", I think (a minister, if I'm not mistaken), I'm wondering if you know of any cofc people who ARE qualified translators of Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic? That would be interesting to know.
Shane R

Post by Shane R »

I do. When I took Greek in Anglican seminary the introductory course used some materials by a CoC guy out of Pennsylvania whose name I cannot recall. I know a fellow who has been living in L.A. for 4 or 5 years who studied Biblical language at a real college in the Illinois state system. And there was a black preacher from Indianapolis who participated in the review process for ESV, although I am not sure if he is still alive. So I know 3 and I figure there are probably at least that many more floating around in the NI church. But not very many more. And no one who studied primarily at Florida College.

Even a much more academically rigorous conventional denomination like the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod found that a proprietary translation was going to be difficult to complete. They explored the project and decided to just have a review committee go through what was already out there and make a recommendation. They then adopted NIV-2011 for their publications and liturgical materials.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Thanks for that response, Shane.
Shane R

Post by Shane R »

Ivy wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:45 am Thanks for that response, Shane.
I just learned today that the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod did eventually launch a translation project, so my other post is not totally accurate. They cooperated with the ELS (another Lutheran group) and a seminary to make a Bible. It is called the Evangelical Heritage Version and was complete in 2019. Over 100 people worked on it, though not all were translators - some were writers who attempted to make better prose.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

zeek wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:10 pm The King James Version was good enough for Paul and it's good enough for me!
That's right zeek. And Jesus spoke English, and that's good enough for me!! :lol: :lol: :lol: