CoC new translation?

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
longdistancerunner

CoC new translation?

Post by longdistancerunner »

I have never heard of this happening but thinking back I wonder if it has been brought up or even attempted. Why hasn't the CoC made a new translation of the Bible which would clear up some of the controversies that have existed. A lot of people have been accused of being confused because they do not understand what the Greek words really meant and thus acquire false ideas. It would seem a correct translation of the KJ bible would clear this up. Anyone heard of someone bringing this up?
agricola

Re: CoC new translation?

Post by agricola »

Way to open a can of worms. ARE PEW CUSHIONS SCRIPTURAL OR NOT???

Seriously. The CoC I belonged to spent three years on that, to the point of NEARLY splitting, because there was no command or example for pew cushions, so they probably weren't scriptural.

(compromise: they put cushions on HALF the pews)
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
agricola

Post by agricola »

Remember - to quote my mother:
Church is not SUPPOSED to be fun! (or apparently, comfortable)
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

A Church of Christ preacher did issue his own translation of the Bible. I can't remember his name and it was many years ago.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

B.H. wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 1:52 pm A Church of Christ preacher did issue his own translation of the Bible. I can't remember his name and it was many years ago.
I wonder if he actually did that, whoever he was. Seems like that would be a mammoth undertaking that would take a full lifetime.
He'd have to be fluent in biblical languages, as well as being quite the scholar and historian.

I'm going to speculate that he just rewrote a few chapters to say what he thought they should say according to cofc theology / doctrine / dogma.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Wait, BH. Could this be what you referred to?

h**ps://www.bible-researcher.com/campbell.html
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

agricola wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 6:24 pm Way to open a can of worms. ARE PEW CUSHIONS SCRIPTURAL OR NOT???

Seriously. The CoC I belonged to spent three years on that, to the point of NEARLY splitting, because there was no command or example for pew cushions, so they probably weren't scriptural.

(compromise: they put cushions on HALF the pews)
Didn't the early church members have to sit on rocks and/or hard furniture? There you go. Example / necessary inference. No cushions for y'all!!
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

The link don't work

It must be a false link that does not go all the way back to Pentecost 33 AD.

No, I think the man's last name was Wharton or Wherley. I can't remember.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

I knew a W.L. Wharton in Texas. Was it him?
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
zeek

Post by zeek »

The King James Version was good enough for Paul and it's good enough for me!
"All things are difficult before they are easy."(found in a fortune cookie)
"We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the oppressed. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Forgetting isn't healing." Elie Wiesel