Stephen the only Christian martyr in the NT

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
longdistancerunner

Stephen the only Christian martyr in the NT

Post by longdistancerunner »

Totally by accident I came across the account of Stephen the martyr in ACTS 6-8. I never remember much discussion about martyrdom in the CoC preaching except for some references to Paul (whose imprisonment is in the NT but his execution is just presumed). The account of Stephen is quite intriguing and largely parallels Jesus's crucifixion. It is hard to believe the truly bizarre account of Stephen unless you believe everything in the Bible in absolutely inspired word by word. I searched and most gospel scholars just ignore Stephen, I couldn't even find Ehrman discussing him. I recommend people reading his account in the NT, it is very interesting and gives insight about what CoC should really believe if they truly believe in inspiration of the scripture without error. It is also interesting that reading the account in the King James translation is almost incomprehensible to me, the NIV translation is much clear. The description of Stephen also emphasizes to me how Christianity began as a Jewish reformation. I was also surprised to find out Stephen is the only Christian martyr in the NT. I am interested in other persons view of this.
B.H.

Re: Stephen the only Christian martyr in the NT

Post by B.H. »

Stephen also was wrong in his sermon on where the patriarchs are buried. Oohh. He taught error yet the light and sky shined on him.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

B.H. wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:48 pm Stephen also was wrong in his sermon on where the patriarchs are buried. Oohh. He taught error yet the light and sky shined on him.
Perhaps he was correct and the other source
was wrong.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Shane R

Post by Shane R »

In liturgical churches he's quite a big deal. He is numbered among the first 7 deacons and has a feast on December 26. Also, my seminary professor had an entire unit on Acts 7.
longdistancerunner

Post by longdistancerunner »

Shane R wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:24 pm In liturgical churches he's quite a big deal. He is numbered among the first 7 deacons and has a feast on December 26. Also, my seminary professor had an entire unit on Acts 7.
That is fascinating, do liturgical churches celebrate other martyrs (even though Stephen is the only one explicitly mentioned in the Bible)?
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Isaiah is a martyr. It's mention he was sawn in two in one of the gospels. The story comes from a non canonical book The Ascension of Isaiah.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

I'm not sure I would have done well as a martyr, even at my most involved and devoted phase. I always hoped it would never come to that. :shock:
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Ivy, you wouldn't die for Roy Cogdill?

lol. I wouldn't either.😂
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

B.H. wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:56 pm Ivy, you wouldn't die for Roy Cogdill?

lol. I wouldn't either.😂
:lol:
Shane R

Post by Shane R »

longdistancerunner wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:10 am
Shane R wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:24 pm In liturgical churches he's quite a big deal. He is numbered among the first 7 deacons and has a feast on December 26. Also, my seminary professor had an entire unit on Acts 7.
That is fascinating, do liturgical churches celebrate other martyrs (even though Stephen is the only one explicitly mentioned in the Bible)?
Yes, quite a few. The proper color for such comemmorations is red. Also, St. James is explicitly mentioned in Acts.