Pre WW2 CoC

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
longdistancerunner

Pre WW2 CoC

Post by longdistancerunner »

I know this is going back in time quite a bit, but has anybody heard any stories of what the CoC was like pre World War Two era? My understanding is they were quite different, they were very anti political, not in the sense we think of it today but members didn't believe Christians should vote, serve in the military, have political positions. Also my understanding is they were also very apocalyptic. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!
B.H.

Re: Pre WW2 CoC

Post by B.H. »

I've read they were more tolerant of doctrinal differences among themselves to some degree than after world war two.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

B.H. wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:14 pm I've read they were more tolerant of doctrinal differences among themselves to some degree than after world war two.
My mom, my maternal grandparents, and my great grandparents were involved in that era. I have a photo somewhere of my mom's old cofc building in a tiny NE Texas town. I don't really know how "tolerant" they were back then. I think the church coffers supporting the orphanage became an issue later on. Wish I had asked more questions. My grandparents went on to join a kind of "lib-rel" cofc, where my aunt was attending in another town, and my mother when on and got caught up in the "NICOC" movement and came to believe that much more restrictive, rigid iteration. My great grandmother's family name was "Campbell", so makes you wonder.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Old Granny Campbell
Made the antis all scramble
For their own faithful church
Lest on judgement day found in the lurch
"Depart from me for I never knew you"
and in hell be human stew.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

BH is making fun of my great grandma!! BH!!
zeek

Post by zeek »

I've heard many older people say that before WWII the coC only had one Sunday morning worship assembly. The Sunday evening or night assemblies were started during the war because many people had to work on Sunday to support the war effort. So, to accommodate these people the evening service was adopted. Wed. night service didn't become a thing until the mid 50s when most families were able to have a car. It is also my understanding that in the prewar days the coC held that politics and politicians are generally corrupt so followers of Jesus shouldn't participate in it.
"All things are difficult before they are easy."(found in a fortune cookie)
"We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the oppressed. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Forgetting isn't healing." Elie Wiesel
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

zeek wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:41 pm I've heard many older people say that before WWII the coC only had one Sunday morning worship assembly. The Sunday evening or night assemblies were started during the war because many people had to work on Sunday to support the war effort. So, to accommodate these people the evening service was adopted. Wed. night service didn't become a thing until the mid 50s when most families were able to have a car. It is also my understanding that in the prewar days the coC held that politics and politicians are generally corrupt so followers of Jesus shouldn't participate in it.
And now they're pushing Trump and all those like him. Never would have dreamed I'd see the day they sunk so low. I liked them much better when they were more apolitical.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Ivy wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:48 am BH is making fun of my great grandma!! BH!!
No Ivy, I'm making fun of the people who disagreed with her. 😊
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

B.H. wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:03 pm
Ivy wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:48 am BH is making fun of my great grandma!! BH!!
No Ivy, I'm making fun of the people who disagreed with her. 😊
Honestly, from what I've heard about her (she passed away long before I was born) she was way more gentle spoken than that. I don't see her
acting that way or being mean spirited at all. I wish I had known her; my mom loved her (Grandma and Grandpa) very much.
Shane R

Post by Shane R »

In the very earliest days of my CoC preaching I encountered a few old-timers who had come up in that era. From what I gathered it was indeed transitional. They loved the added services - more chances to preach. But what they really always wanted to talk about was how Gospel Meetings could go every night for 2 or 3 weeks. Dozens would be baptized and so on. Many of them had a boner for N.B. Hardeman.