Pre WW2 CoC

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
longdistancerunner

Re: Pre WW2 CoC

Post by longdistancerunner »

agricola wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:15 pm When I was little (in the 50s) there was still a feeling in the church that politics were outside the building. This was just post WW2/Korea, and many of the men had seen military service, so that was not something that was opposed, but it was also not celebrated. The message from the pulpit was that we were to be 'apart from the world' which meant no church positions on political matters DIRECTLY. Of course, the preaching itself was certainly aligned with/or against various political positions, but very few church men in any position of authority were very obvious about it.
That was always what I heard that politics were out of the building, however in the early 60's we had one preacher who read John Birch anticommunist material in his preaching, he had a very political opinion on that as communists were antiGod. He urged political action, people supporting anticommunist candidates.
zeek

Post by zeek »

agricola wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 4:40 pm
Shane R wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:37 am "and a Spanish language service - indicating a reasonably sized Hispanic element nowadays."

That is really fascinating. I live in Southeast Ohio now and the two most common churches are Church of Christ and Methodist. I've never seen a Church of Christ advertising a Spanish service.
They just added a FRENCH one, which I TOTALLY fail to understand - maybe Vietnamese? Where in tarn hill does Nashville acquire any significant FRENCH speaking minority with enough to cause a CoC to add FRENCH??

I'm in N Georgia now, and as far as I can tell, the most common small town churches are Baptists and Methodists, with a scattering of Presbyterian and the CoC, of course. But I also see Kingdom Halls, and at least one Society of Friends is nearby (Quakers). Not a lot of LDS, which were everywhere around when I was living in Nevada. Occasionally Roman Catholic - but those tend to be better organized and spaced out further apart.
I just did a bit of quick research and among all the non english languages spoken in Nashville, French is way down the list in like 6th or 7th place. The second most common non English language in Nashville after Spanish is surprising as it is Arabic. I wonder why they haven't developed a service in Arabic??? LOL, I can probably guess. As to why French, my guess would be that some pissy individual pitched a fit about them catering to the "illegals" "flooding our country" So they had to do something to cater to white Europeans.
"All things are difficult before they are easy."(found in a fortune cookie)
"We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the oppressed. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Forgetting isn't healing." Elie Wiesel
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Ivy wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:11 am I shouldn't do this but...
the local hillbilly institutional minister
:lol: :lol: :lol:

More likely an NICOC minister, huh? I wonder if they ever developed any minimum standards /detailed job descriptions for a FT pray-cher. Just so there are no surprise firings in the middle of the night.

But BH, Sister Ivy came from hillbilly culture, so be respectful.

I didn't call anyone hillbilly. BH has been unjustly rebukified.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

B.H. wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:44 pm I didn't call anyone hillbilly. BH has been unjustly rebukified.
You're right BH. I apologize. That was Shane.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Ivy wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:55 am
B.H. wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:44 pm I didn't call anyone hillbilly. BH has been unjustly rebukified.
You're right BH. I apologize. That was Shane.
It's okay. I wasn't mad or anything I just chuckled that Iv y was going to go "BH!" any minute.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx