Women in Bible Classes in non-institutional churches participation

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
longdistancerunner

Women in Bible Classes in non-institutional churches participation

Post by longdistancerunner »

I was told that in non-institutional CoC Bible classes that women attend but are not allowed to participate in discussions. I am sure this varies with the church but do others have any info or knowledge on this?
Ivy

Re: Women in Bible Classes in non-institutional churches participation

Post by Ivy »

longdistancerunner wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:56 pm I was told that in non-institutional CoC Bible classes that women attend but are not allowed to participate in discussions. I am sure this varies with the church but do others have any info or knowledge on this?
Back in "my days" in the NICOC, women could, and did, speak in bible class. They took full advantage of it. But of course the preacher / whoever the teacher was (usually the preacher) had to call on them to speak. I guess they rationalized that the woman was "under subjection" to the male who was leading the class.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
teresa
Site Admin

Post by teresa »

In Wednesday Bible class women did sometimes speak -- they would answer a question asked by the teacher of the class, for example. In the new converts Bible class, women were called upon to recite verses the class was supposed to memorize, and to answer questions.
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

In every NICOC I attended, women were allowed to comment in Bible class. This was true in both teen and adult classes.
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

You in the NICoC were a bunch of pinko liberals. If you were the real (tm) Church of Christ you would never have divided your assembly into Bible classes to begin with. :lol: :P ;)
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

B.H. wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:51 pm You in the NICoC were a bunch of pinko liberals. If you were the real (tm) Church of Christ you would never have divided your assembly into Bible classes to begin with. :lol: :P ;)
If the church where I was raised was “liberal,” I don’t know what a “conservative” church could be.
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Moogy wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:01 pm
B.H. wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:51 pm You in the NICoC were a bunch of pinko liberals. If you were the real (tm) Church of Christ you would never have divided your assembly into Bible classes to begin with. :lol: :P ;)
If the church where I was raised was “liberal,” I don’t know what a “conservative” church could be.
I'll tell you then. 🤣
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
longdistancerunner

Post by longdistancerunner »

It is interesting to me that most people here with experience in a NICOC had both bible classes and allowed women to play a role in them. My understanding is there was a group that did not believe in bible classes separate from worship, it may have been in years before the experience of people here. Also I wonder if most people in the CoC before the Second World War had bible classes and women played a more subordinate role. Hughs book on the history of the CoC says it was very different before the Second World War and that Foy Wallace played a big role in the changes that came about, although in his early years he was very close to the thinking of stick noninstitutionalists.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

I was raised in the no Sunday school Church of Christ. You heard right about them existing.