Deathbed conversions/baptisms

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
longdistancerunner

Deathbed conversions/baptisms

Post by longdistancerunner »

I remember at least one preacher in the church I attended as a child used to tell stories about people dying in hospitals wanting to be baptized. Often they had a bathtub big enough for this and sometimes even had to hold their hands over the tracheostomy tube/tracheostomy to perform the immersion. The preacher hated these deathbed conversions and said it was questionable whether they would be saved but he didn't appear to think so. Did anyone else hear this type of story in sermons?
B.H.

Re: Deathbed conversions/baptisms

Post by B.H. »

No. But I do know for a fact people have wanted to be baptized but died before being able to.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

longdistancerunner wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:40 pm I remember at least one preacher in the church I attended as a child used to tell stories about people dying in hospitals wanting to be baptized. Often they had a bathtub big enough for this and sometimes even had to hold their hands over the tracheostomy tube/tracheostomy to perform the immersion. The preacher hated these deathbed conversions and said it was questionable whether they would be saved but he didn't appear to think so. Did anyone else hear this type of story in sermons?
That preacher should remember this scripture: Judge not, that you be not judged.
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
zeek

Post by zeek »

Moogy wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:59 pm
longdistancerunner wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:40 pm I remember at least one preacher in the church I attended as a child used to tell stories about people dying in hospitals wanting to be baptized. Often they had a bathtub big enough for this and sometimes even had to hold their hands over the tracheostomy tube/tracheostomy to perform the immersion. The preacher hated these deathbed conversions and said it was questionable whether they would be saved but he didn't appear to think so. Did anyone else hear this type of story in sermons?
That preacher should remember this scripture: Judge not, that you be not judged.
Yes, and the laborers in the vineyard that were hired at the last hour received the same reward as those who came early in the day...
"All things are difficult before they are easy."(found in a fortune cookie)
"We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the oppressed. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Forgetting isn't healing." Elie Wiesel
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Yeah, when it comes to being saved God in the Bible is commie.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Shane R

Post by Shane R »

Sounds like my old man. He hates the death bed conversions. That parable about the 11th hour has never made sense to him. If you didn't labor under the hot sun all day you might not be a Christian.

This reminds me of a rather unfortunate event in my own ministry. I was the Jr. minister at the church, had only been ordained for a few weeks. Well, the senior guy and I were going over to the hospital to anoint a lady. But because I was new, the chaplains office had to scan my ordination certificate and enter me in their system. This took forever, over 20 minutes. In that time the lady died.