Instrumental music in Church Weddings

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
Ivy

Re: Instrumental music in Church Weddings

Post by Ivy »

Well, if there's "nothing holy about the building", I wonder why is it such an issue with some people?
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

I figured most churches would worry about the bride or bridesmaids showing too much cleavage.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

I guess their logic is that the church building was constructed and maintained from the church treasury..."the Lord's money". So there should be no social activities occuring within the building. Only activities "authorized" in the bible. And yet, marriage is supported in the bible, so there's that. I saw a few weddings in the building back during the 60s, but later that phased out. There would be vocal music, no instruments. The reception would be held someplace else due to the no food in the building rule so they could serve their non-alcoholic (often "Snow on the Mountain") punch, mints, nuts, and cake. No champagne, no dancing, and no music at the reception. Nowdays, it looks like they've even stopped having funerals in the building; they have them at the funeral home.
longdistancerunner

Post by longdistancerunner »

Many churches, not just CoC, now charge for weddings and sometimes even for members of the church although they sometimes get a reduced rate. And the amount charged isn't trivial, it is for more than just the cleanup. Weddings are big business nowadays, although it makes no sense, people like my mother had a nice wedding for almost nothing.
zeek

Post by zeek »

Ivy wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:10 pm I guess their logic is that the church building was constructed and maintained from the church treasury..."the Lord's money". So there should be no social activities occuring within the building. Only activities "authorized" in the bible. And yet, marriage is supported in the bible, so there's that. I saw a few weddings in the building back during the 60s, but later that phased out. There would be vocal music, no instruments. The reception would be held someplace else due to the no food in the building rule so they could serve their non-alcoholic (often "Snow on the Mountain") punch, mints, nuts, and cake. No champagne, no dancing, and no music at the reception. Nowdays, it looks like they've even stopped having funerals in the building; they have them at the funeral home.
In this area, in recent years, funerals have moved back to church houses. Funeral homes charge thousands extra to use their facilities for the service so families with a church connection hold funerals at the church house instead. The funeral business has just about priced themselves out of business as far as traditional burials are concerned with cremation quickly becoming the standard practice. That's not surprising given that in this area cremation costs about 15% of what a traditional burial costs.
"All things are difficult before they are easy."(found in a fortune cookie)
"We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the oppressed. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Forgetting isn't healing." Elie Wiesel
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Ivy wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:10 pm I guess their logic is that the church building was constructed and maintained from the church treasury..."the Lord's money". So there should be no social activities occuring within the building. Only activities "authorized" in the bible. And yet, marriage is supported in the bible, so there's that. I saw a few weddings in the building back during the 60s, but later that phased out. There would be vocal music, no instruments. The reception would be held someplace else due to the no food in the building rule so they could serve their non-alcoholic (often "Snow on the Mountain") punch, mints, nuts, and cake. No champagne, no dancing, and no music at the reception. Nowdays, it looks like they've even stopped having funerals in the building; they have them at the funeral home.
I would think a coffee pot could be defended though. The preacher may be sleepy without coffee and it infringe on his ability to exegete the Bible and produce the quality and in depth analysis CoC preachers are known for. However, if the coffee pot was paid for out of the church treasury he couldn't give any coffee to people not Church of Christ.
Last edited by B.H. on Sun Oct 01, 2023 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

B.H. wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:50 pm I would think a coffee pot could be defended thought. The preacher may be sleepy without coffee and it infringe on his ability to exegete the Bible and produce the quality and in depth analysis CoC preachers are known for. However, if the coffee pot was paid for out of the church treasury he couldn't give any coffee to people not Church of Christ.
BH, that would be a slippery slope. Next thing you know there will be blueberry donuts.
longdistancerunner

Post by longdistancerunner »

But if coffee is given out people will have an excuse to slip out of a boring sermon because they have to use the restroom.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

longdistancerunner wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:55 pm But if coffee is given out people will have an excuse to slip out of a boring sermon because they have to use the restroom.
HAHAHA