Instrumental music in Church Weddings

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
longdistancerunner

Instrumental music in Church Weddings

Post by longdistancerunner »

I remember the topic of whether people could use instrumental music at a wedding in a church. It was a tortured issue as many people had gone to the church their whole lives and wanted to be married there but also wanted some nice music at the wedding. What the elders said was we don't want anyone to see a piano being carried into the church, it will lead others astray. When people asked about something that you wouldn't see being carried into the church like a guitar or flute, they said it is just not proper, it would give the wrong appearance. The issue of either recorded vocal music or instrumental music was also brought up but I can't remember what the discussion about it was, but it was not permitted. I wonder what experiences others had with this. It was really an emotion issue for many.

I remember they did have a record player at the church to use for listening to recorded sermons. It was funny I was in a Sunday School class and somebody brought in a record about Noah's Ark, they didn't say this but it was a Bill Cosby comedy routine about Noah's ark. The teacher stopped the record.

With the liberal churches of Christ I see something interesting, they do not use instrumental music but will have it on the PA system before church services. However the somewhat strange thing I have seen at several is the song leader slapping his thighs for rhythm.

Here is a video of a tortured discussion about instrumental music which involves some really convoluted logic. I really like the topic brought up that we shouldn't be asking why instrumental music can't be used but rather why do some churches use it? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGdTegYxF7M
agricola

Re: Instrumental music in Church Weddings

Post by agricola »

If I recall correctly - back in the day (that is, a long time ago) the solution was to have weddings on any day BUT Sunday, and they would bring in a piano or small organ for the wedding, no problem EXCEPT NOT ON SUNDAY.
So weddings were Saturdays.

Because, you know, the church is not the BUILDING. It's just the church BUILDING, not the church!
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
longdistancerunner

Post by longdistancerunner »

agricola wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:17 am If I recall correctly - back in the day (that is, a long time ago) the solution was to have weddings on any day BUT Sunday, and they would bring in a piano or small organ for the wedding, no problem EXCEPT NOT ON SUNDAY.
So weddings were Saturdays."

I wonder how many people were led astray and will spend eternity in hell by seeing a piano being rolled into the church of Christ?
zeek

Post by zeek »

I don't understand the coC's concern with leading anyone astray; by their doctrine, it really makes no difference. Everyone is going to hell anyway.
"All things are difficult before they are easy."(found in a fortune cookie)
"We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the oppressed. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Forgetting isn't healing." Elie Wiesel
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

The farmer in the dell
The farmer in the dell
At a wedding he used a pian-i-o
And when he died he went to hell
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
DashRipRock

Post by DashRipRock »

B.H. wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:51 pm The farmer in the dell
The farmer in the dell
At a wedding he used a pian-i-o
And when he died he went to hell
Good one B.H. :lol:
agricola

Post by agricola »

zeek's right. Seriously, if the CoC were even REMOTELY logical about things, they'd just drown people DURING baptism, so they would go straight to heaven, instead of chancing 'falling away' as soon as they got up. I mean, that is certainly the SAFEST thing!
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

agricola wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:25 am zeek's right. Seriously, if the CoC were even REMOTELY logical about things, they'd just drown people DURING baptism, so they would go straight to heaven, instead of chancing 'falling away' as soon as they got up. I mean, that is certainly the SAFEST thing!
I've actually heard that discussion. Just dunk 'em and be done with it. Not seriously, of course, but still.

One would think even discussing this with wry humor would give them pause. If it's that easy to "fall away" and be lost again, maybe there is
something wrong with their interpretation of the bible, God, Christianity.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

My NICOC mother (rest her soul) thought it was unscriptural to have weddings in the church building no matter what music was used. She would not even attend such events. Therefore, my 50-year-old wedding pictures do not show my old COC.
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
Shane R

Post by Shane R »

I remember this quite well. Must have been the mid 90s. Anyhow, there was a wedding at the church (the girl was already pregnant) and there was a boom-box. I don't remember the songs but there were definitely some tunes not of the hymnal.