Remarriage after Divorce/No belief in Divorce

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
faithandmore

Re: Remarriage after Divorce/No belief in Divorce

Post by faithandmore »

Moogy wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:33 pm At my last COC, the preacher (and probably others) told a couple they needed to separate after it was discovered that they had previous unscriptural divorces. I don’t know if the divorces were before or after their baptisms, but anyway I don’t think that NICOC gave people a pass based on the sequence of the baptism/divorce. What was so HORRIBLE about this episode is that the wife was about 5 or 6 months pregnant with their first child.

Some members left that church immediately after this happened, including the “sinful” couple. I didn't leave immediately, but this was one of many things that led to my apostasy.
Imagine a church telling you that you had to divorce your spouse, and possibly, break up a whole family. (If you have children with that spouse). All because your marriage to that person was not "scriptural".
I can't imagine giving a church, or any group, that much power over my life.