Strange CoC experience!

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
longdistancerunner

Strange CoC experience!

Post by longdistancerunner »

About 20 years ago I met a woman at a dance event, it was either a class or a social event. I talked with her a bit and she asked me to go to church with her Sunday. I didn't know what kind of church it was just that it was at a room at the Albuquerque convention center. She said it was really a neat church. I agreed to go and showed up there and she then told me it was a reformed Church of Christ. The service was unlike any I have attended and was composed of fairly young people. It seemed like a highly rehearsed performance, they would turn out the lights and have a spotlight on the speakers giving testimonials and talking about Jesus's sacrifice. They did have music but it wasn't congregational singing, they had a keyboard and a chorus on stage and sang worship rock/pop type music. A lot of the service grossly somewhat interacted and celebrated the sacrifice of Jesus. The service was incredibly long about 2.5 hours with no breaks. Afterwards I talked with the girl and a group of young men came over. They surrounded me in a way that I felt somewhat threatened by and insisted I make a conversion now! They really didn't ask me it seemed more a demand, I told them I would think about it in order to get away but I was surrounded and just rushed out. I realized the girl had no interest in any way in me personally this was just a technique for them for acquire another notch on their belts.
B.H.

Re: Strange CoC experience!

Post by B.H. »

That was terrible to have a woman do that to you and then they mobbed you to convert. Sounds like it may have been Boston Movement.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Ivy

Re: Strange CoC experience!

Post by Ivy »

Oh, my goodness that IS creepy!! Sounds very cultish.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~