non-institutionalism and the baptistry

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
B.H.

non-institutionalism and the baptistry

Post by B.H. »

I have a question and its been worrying me to death. Really, I can't sleep Im so worried about it so you guys and gals get me set straight.

I had a thought about the church we all lurv here. It concerns the noninstitutional kind.

A man or woman decides to get baptized in a noninstitutional CoC. However, the preacher goes on and on and on and the poor man or woman gets very thirsty. They get so thirsty they drink some of the water in the baptistry before or when the are under.

My question is this. Since the baptistry water is paid for out of the church treasury did the baptizee sin drinking the water since they weren't a Christian yet and did the preacher sin in failing to tell that person no baptistry water to drink for you until you get back above water? Since it was a sinful baptism with water drinking is the baptism null?

This really bothers me. Im skeeered someone gonna land in hell over this with those people who use instruments in worship or sing "when we all get to heaven" instead of "when the saved get to heaven".
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
zeek

Re: non-institutionalism and the baptistry

Post by zeek »

B.H. wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:57 pm I have a question and its been worrying me to death. Really, I can't sleep Im so worried about it so you guys and gals get me set straight.

I had a thought about the church we all lurv here. It concerns the noninstitutional kind.

A man or woman decides to get baptized in a noninstitutional CoC. However, the preacher goes on and on and on and the poor man or woman gets very thirsty. They get so thirsty they drink some of the water in the baptistry before or when the are under.

My question is this. Since the baptistry water is paid for out of the church treasury did the baptizee sin drinking the water since they weren't a Christian yet and did the preacher sin in failing to tell that person no baptistry water to drink for you until you get back above water? Since it was a sinful baptism with water drinking is the baptism null?

This really bothers me. Im skeeered someone gonna land in hell over this with those people who use instruments in worship or sing "when we all get to heaven" instead of "when the saved get to heaven".
B.H. You do err not knowing or not understanding the coC doctrine. According to them nobody's going to heaven; so, it doesn't matter if the unsaved drank the consecrated coC baptistry water or not. You can quit fretting over it or anything else you thought might land somebody in hell. They are going there anyway; so, it doesn't matter. Hope this helps relieve your anxiety.
"All things are difficult before they are easy."(found in a fortune cookie)
"We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the oppressed. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Forgetting isn't healing." Elie Wiesel
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Br. Zeek, you are so right. In the CoC grace and love don't cover any honest error so everyone ends up in hell. Lol
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

B.H. wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:45 pm Br. Zeek, you are so right. In the CoC grace and love don't cover any honest error so everyone ends up in hell. Lol
That's a new twist on someone's toe or elbow not quite being submerged.
Then someone tells them and they obsess about it and get re-baptized.
Those are the seeds of OCD.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Shane R

Post by Shane R »

If you drank water from an NI baptistry you would be likely to come down with cholera or dysentery. It's not changed out very often. There are places that only fill the baptistry when they are going to use it and in that situation the thing sits uncleaned collecting dust, bugs, etc for months at a time.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Shane R wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:43 am If you drank water from an NI baptistry you would be likely to come down with cholera or dysentery. It's not changed out very often. There are places that only fill the baptistry when they are going to use it and in that situation the thing sits uncleaned collecting dust, bugs, etc for months at a time.
Thats another issue. The bible says be baptized with water. It doesn't say be baptized in dust, bugs, or even chlorine mixed in with water. You can't add to singing with an instrument, forbidden in the command principle, so you can't add anything to water either. Oh my we are indeed all going to hell. I bet Ivy and moogy in a craft class they took have a nice little handbasket made for all of us to get in while we take the trip down.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Well, if you want to really get technical, think about how dirty those rivers they used to baptize in the bible would have been.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

BH:

zeek

Post by zeek »

B.H. wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:25 am
Shane R wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:43 am If you drank water from an NI baptistry you would be likely to come down with cholera or dysentery. It's not changed out very often. There are places that only fill the baptistry when they are going to use it and in that situation the thing sits uncleaned collecting dust, bugs, etc for months at a time.
Thats another issue. The bible says be baptized with water. It doesn't say be baptized in dust, bugs, or even chlorine mixed in with water. You can't add to singing with an instrument, forbidden in the command principle, so you can't add anything to water either. Oh my we are indeed all going to hell. I bet Ivy and moogy in a craft class they took have a nice little handbasket made for all of us to get in while we take the trip down.
Well, to get real technical and split CENI hairs, it is the Law of Exclusion that comes in to play here. Once God specifies something such as "sing" all other options are automatically excluded without Him having to specifically say so. How many times did we hear "When God told Noah to build the Ark of gopher wood, that automatically disqualified every other species of tree on the planet and had Noah used even a piece of some other species of wood the ark would not have saved him."
"All things are difficult before they are easy."(found in a fortune cookie)
"We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the oppressed. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Forgetting isn't healing." Elie Wiesel
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Ivy wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:28 am Well, if you want to really get technical, think about how dirty those rivers they used to baptize in the bible would have been.
Necessary inference demands that since the apostles commanded to baptize with water somehow the water miraculously cleaned itself and became pure.