What kind of movies do You prefer?

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
B.H.

Re: What kind of movies do You prefer?

Post by B.H. »

I like documentaries
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
faithandmore

Post by faithandmore »

Same here, I like documentaries.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

My favorite genres would include drama, mystery, and science fiction. I love historical fiction. But other genres can be appealing to me depending on how well done they might be, who directed them, and the quality of the acting. A most definite NO would be musicals. Sports and action, no. Horror -- it depends on the movie. Speaking of horror, I'd recommend that you NOT watch "Heredity". That one freaked me out and I didn't finish it.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
zeek

Post by zeek »

I still love a good old fashioned western. Sadly, I find most modern made ones to be much too crude and vulgar in language and bloodshed to be especially entertaining. Now, I know the westerns of the old days romanticized and sanitized some pretty awful events of the past but still, they were and are entertaining. I do like a documentary as long as it's concerning something I have an interest in. I despise any of the modern movie franchises that are based on comic books.
"All things are difficult before they are easy."(found in a fortune cookie)
"We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the oppressed. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Forgetting isn't healing." Elie Wiesel
DashRipRock

Post by DashRipRock »

I watch re-runs of Gunsmoke ;) . Plus I like sci-fi movies and gangster movies too .
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

DashRipRock wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:41 pm I watch re-runs of Gunsmoke ;) . Plus I like sci-fi movies and gangster movies too .
Yes!! Loved Gunsmoke.

And yes to gangster movies!! Even if I have to cover my eyes and / or leave the room at times. Mobster group and family dynamics are fascinating.

I also love very weird, quirky movies and series...ex: Dexter.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Ivy wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:03 pm My favorite genres would include drama, mystery, and science fiction. I love historical fiction. But other genres can be appealing to me depending on how well done they might be, who directed them, and the quality of the acting. A most definite NO would be musicals. Sports and action, no. Horror -- it depends on the movie. Speaking of horror, I'd recommend that you NOT watch "Heredity". That one freaked me out and I didn't finish it.

I'm going to write a novel called "The Last Temptation of Roy Cogdill". I bet you'd love it. It will be a historical fiction involving lots of hypocrisy, sex, backstabbing and all that good stuff.

I'll write a science fiction book called "Foy Wallace Explores the Solar System" and it will feature him riding a fiery chariot across space.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
faithandmore

Post by faithandmore »

DashRipRock wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:41 pm I watch re-runs of Gunsmoke ;) . Plus I like sci-fi movies and gangster movies too .
I loved Gun Smoke when I was a kid, and the man who played the sheriff Matt Dillon, I had such a big crush on him.
longdistancerunner

Post by longdistancerunner »

Drama but I also like some comedies. My favorite three movies were Patton, The Godfather, and Scarface. I also like some of the miniseries on cable; particularly Scenes from a Marriage, Olive Kittridge. And some cable series The Affair, Succession, Homeland. Of movies in the last years the ones I liked very much were; Rachel's Getting Married, A Single Man, A Serious Man. Comedies I like are Used Cars, Armed and Dangerous, and a really dark maybe comedy "Swimming with Sharks".And for a religious movie Monsignor with Christopher Reeves (if you don't like the Catholic Church you will love it).
Shane R

Post by Shane R »

I took my brother to the theater on Christmas Eve and we watched "The Iron Claw" which is about the Von Erich wrestling family who ran shows around Dallas in the 70s and 80s. I thought it was quite good although there was one scene that was very difficult for me to watch. If you are familiar with the story of the Von Erichs, you may know that most of the brothers died of suicide. My wife did as well.

I was surprised that my brother also liked it. He had the expectation that it would mostly be an action movie with a bunch of wrestling. He's rather emotionally immature and I thought a lot of it was probably too heavy for him to process. I was probably right in that assessment but he still liked it. We had a terrible time finding a place to get a bite to eat when it was over (it was the last movie of the night and ended after 10 p.m.). We finally found a McDonald's that was still open and they had about 20 cars in line.