How the CoC made it to Texas!

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
Shane R

Re: How the CoC made it to Texas!

Post by Shane R »

They are fairly common in Southern Ohio but all of the congregations, with the exception of a pocket in the outer suburbs of both Dayton and Cincinnati, are small and dwindling. And fast. Congregations that, 15 years ago, had 80 people are now between 25-40. Church of Christ buildings are not known for being architectural masterpieces to begin with, but when the revenue has halved they look downright shoddy in a hurry.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Shane R wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:47 pm Church of Christ buildings are not known for being architectural masterpieces to begin with, but when the revenue has halved they look downright shoddy in a hurry.
There are many tiny cofc buildings in Texas that have no windows. Apparently this was a trend back during the....50s or 60s? Something about air conditioning? I'm not sure what drove that misguided building decision. I guess they didn't think about fires. Or even scripturally, remember the guy who fell out of the upper room window when someone droned on and on? That would seem to be a CENI issue, wouldn't it? Bible example of a window?
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Shane R

Post by Shane R »

That is fascinating. I have been in some where the windows are horizontal and mounted high enough that they are difficult to peer out of. And I have preached in churches where the AC was cut into the wall and a hotel unit or a window unit. I think I might have seen one church, in South Carolina, so austere that it lacked any natural light into the worship space.

I was driving back from the Lutheran church I've been serving yesterday when I went by a CoC I thought was probably NI. But they had decorated for Christmas. So either the NI boundaries have shifted or they weren't what I thought they were. Vocal music, building looks like a cracker box with obviously no ancillary facilities such as a kitchen or fellowship hall, but they've decorated for Christmas.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

I can't see an NI church decorating for Christmas!! But who knows; I don't have many contacts within that group now. Culture sometimes eventually wins out with them.
Shane R

Post by Shane R »

faithandmore wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:23 pm I must say I have not seen any C of C church in the area I live in now (southeastern Idaho). Interesting. Not a single one.
I went to the Guardian of Truth Foundation (big group in the NI, very important) lectures in their first or second year. There were probably 6 or 7 hundred people there and there was exactly one guy from Idaho. And he was whining and complaining the whole time about how hard it was to have a CoC in Idaho.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Shane R wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:04 pm
faithandmore wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:23 pm I must say I have not seen any C of C church in the area I live in now (southeastern Idaho). Interesting. Not a single one.
I went to the Guardian of Truth Foundation (big group in the NI, very important) lectures in their first or second year. There were probably 6 or 7 hundred people there and there was exactly one guy from Idaho. And he was whining and complaining the whole time about how hard it was to have a CoC in Idaho.
Interesting. But seems I've heard there lots of extremist groups up there...I guess they aren't attracted to the cofc?
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Get up that Christmas tree!
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

B.H. wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:42 pm Get up that Christmas tree!
Yee Haw!!! :lol:
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Shane R wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:04 pm
Well he can just whine.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx