How the CoC made it to Texas!

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
longdistancerunner

How the CoC made it to Texas!

Post by longdistancerunner »

Here is an interesting article about how there became so many CoC's in Texas; https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/church-of-christ#:~:text=Early%20Texas%20Churches%20of%20Christ,west%20beyond%20the%20Colorado%20River.
agricola

Re: How the CoC made it to Texas!

Post by agricola »

Interesting.
Growing up in Tennessee, the heart of CoC-ism, as a child I never really argued with what I was taught, that the CoC was big and important and the real true first century church etc.
It was only when I got out of the hothouse, and saw the world outside, that I discovered how provincial and overall SMALL the CoC is as a denomination.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

I heard here that Tennessee is basically the CofC Vatican. LOL!!

My people lived in Tennessee, then moved to Texas. I'm sure they brought the cofc with them when they moved out here.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
faithandmore

Post by faithandmore »

https://christianchronicle.org/most-church-of-christ-members-in-the-u-s-reside-in-a-red-state/

This is an older article but it shows a map of where C of C are most prevalent in the USA.

I must say I have not seen any C of C church in the area I live in now (southeastern Idaho). Interesting. Not a single one.
zeek

Post by zeek »

Ivy wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:12 pm I heard here that Tennessee is basically the CofC Vatican. LOL!!

My people lived in Tennessee, then moved to Texas. I'm sure they brought the cofc with them when they moved out here.
Oh, absolutely, Nashville, was the vatican of the old time coC and there was a line of Popes men line Batsell Baxter, Ira North, Guy Woods, David LIpscomb and other legendary coC personalities all had their turn at being the last word on things in "the church".
"All things are difficult before they are easy."(found in a fortune cookie)
"We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the oppressed. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Forgetting isn't healing." Elie Wiesel
agricola

Post by agricola »

faithandmore wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:23 pm https://christianchronicle.org/most-church-of-christ-members-in-the-u-s-reside-in-a-red-state/

This is an older article but it shows a map of where C of C are most prevalent in the USA.

I must say I have not seen any C of C church in the area I live in now (southeastern Idaho). Interesting. Not a single one.
Half are in either TN or TX, not surprising.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Ivy, let's get together with moogy and see what we can do to convince them to all go back to Tennesee.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

B.H. wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:04 pm Ivy, let's get together with moogy and see what we can do to convince them to all go back to Tennesee.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

That sounds good, but...zeek. I wouldn't want to do that to him.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
zeek

Post by zeek »

Ivy wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:40 pm
B.H. wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:04 pm Ivy, let's get together with moogy and see what we can do to convince them to all go back to Tennesee.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

That sounds good, but...zeek. I wouldn't want to do that to him.
It's all good. It wouldn't change much. Still, in this part of the world there's a coC meeting house every few miles.
"All things are difficult before they are easy."(found in a fortune cookie)
"We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the oppressed. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Forgetting isn't healing." Elie Wiesel
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Zeek,

Do you live in Tennessee? In that case I'm sorry. You are my friend and I wouldn't wish more Campbellites on anyone.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx