Trend in Church Denominations

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
longdistancerunner

Trend in Church Denominations

Post by longdistancerunner »

A trend I have seen in both the west and the south is Churches are no longer displaying (or perhaps even having) denominational names or affiliations. I see quite a few Churches which display almost no name whatsoever or at least it isn't easy to see. And the name of the Church if displayed is somewhat like Abundant Life, The Word, Bible Church etc. All these churches I am describing are new large very elaborate buildings and are located on the outskirts of town (where land is available), The ones I know about were Churches in old areas that moved due to the changing demographics of the community and their membership becoming more prosperous and moving to more affluent neighborhoods. You can go to the outskirts of Nashville (example Brentwood, TN) and see these huge churches with signs of activities like wine tasting events, dances, etc. Almost all the types of Churches I am describing have huge tracts of land.
faithandmore

Re: Trend in Church Denominations

Post by faithandmore »

I have noticed this also.
A lot of smaller churches are closing down.

https://www.npr.org/2023/07/14/1187460517/megachurches-growing-liquid-church
Shane R

Post by Shane R »

When I lived in San Antonio there were whole sections of mega churches. There was an exit off of 1604 that had Hagee's church and several others. Another off of I-35 as you were getting up to Schertz that had a bunch. Even the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod and the Roman Catholics had mega-churches in San Antonio. Is San Antonio Max Lucado's turf or is he some other place in Texas?
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Yes he is in San Antonio.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx