Discussion about Billy Graham?

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
longdistancerunner

Discussion about Billy Graham?

Post by longdistancerunner »

What did you always hear discussed about Billy Graham? What I remember is CoC people were somewhat lukewarm to him. The biggest beef with him was saved by grace without baptism (which is not what he believed really). They said they had tried to discuss the topic with him and he refused. Billy Graham discussed this and said he believed baptism was absolutely essential, however the question always came up about what if a person died between the time he believed and confessed and was baptized, Graham said obviously the person wouldn't go to hell (CoC tended to believe the physical act of baptism was what was essential).
B.H.

Re: Discussion about Billy Graham?

Post by B.H. »

Jesus also said unless you eat his flesh and drink his blood you have no life in you. What if you get baptized on a Wednesday night but due Friday before taking communion on Sunday?
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

I heard in the Coc that Billy Graham admitted the Church of Christ was right about most things but if he started teaching Coc stuff his ministry would fall apart
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
zeek

Post by zeek »

Just about everyone I ever heard comment on Billy Graham, admired his sermons on morality, but all contended that he crashed and burned at the end with his altar call with no teaching of the necessity of baptism for salvation.
"All things are difficult before they are easy."(found in a fortune cookie)
"We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the oppressed. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Forgetting isn't healing." Elie Wiesel
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Pretty much what all of you said. I remember one preacher saying something like "Billy Graham 'knows the truth but refuses to admit it".
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
longdistancerunner

Here is a somewhat fascinating discussion about Billy Graham, the CoC guy says he basically views Billy Graham as a false prophet and that it has been confirmed by biographers of Graham.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjXfju0yFRE
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

I really doubt Billy Graham gave any thought to the CofC.
longdistancerunner

Here is a funny story I found almost certainly false!

Guy Woods used to tell an interesting story about Billy Graham, which you probably won’t hear in the media. He suggested that, despite Billy Graham’s erroneous message, he would indeed be responsible for at least one soul going to heaven. Many years ago, while preaching to a large gathering, Billy Graham quoted part of Acts 2:38, as follows: “Repent! and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit!” Someone in the audience called out, “Read the whole verse!” Graham ignored the call at first, but the person persisted, “Read the whole verse!” Finally, Graham said, “Oh, you must be one of those Church-of-Christers!” The man had never heard of the Church of Christ before. But he knew that, whoever they are, they must believe in quoting the whole verse
agricola

Post by agricola »

longdistancerunner wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:18 pm Here is a funny story I found almost certainly false!

Guy Woods used to tell an interesting story about Billy Graham, which you probably won’t hear in the media. He suggested that, despite Billy Graham’s erroneous message, he would indeed be responsible for at least one soul going to heaven. Many years ago, while preaching to a large gathering, Billy Graham quoted part of Acts 2:38, as follows: “Repent! and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit!” Someone in the audience called out, “Read the whole verse!” Graham ignored the call at first, but the person persisted, “Read the whole verse!” Finally, Graham said, “Oh, you must be one of those Church-of-Christers!” The man had never heard of the Church of Christ before. But he knew that, whoever they are, they must believe in quoting the whole verse
Oh that sounds EXACTLY like a pulpit story in any random CoC!
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Shane R

Post by Shane R »

My experience was that opinions of Graham broke down along educational lines. The better educated (indoctrinated) CoC people tended to loathe him and write him off as a false teacher. The simpler folk tended to secretly like him a bit and maybe even listen to his radio broadcasts or whatever. These were also the folks who would watch Hagee and Piper and others of that ilk on TV. In short, if you did not live within a CoC echo-chamber you might have less bias to Graham.

The Edwards of Indiana tried to inculcate a deep dislike for Graham in the years that they ran the preacher training school from the old man's church in Ellettsville. The middle Edwards had sent off a letter to Graham's ministry offices sometime in the 90s with several proof texts about baptism and the one true church and requested comment. Some lowly staffer, no doubt, had replied with a short letter. Both were dusted off each year and shown to the students to warn of the dangers of Graham crusades.

Interestingly, J.I. Packer, the Canadian Anglican scholar was actually a friend of Graham and said if Graham had not enjoyed so much success in a Baptist format who would have become a low church evangelical Anglican. This is probably closer to the truth than Graham acknowledging the CoC's rightness about anything.