Sermon begins with "This is not intended to scare children"

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
longdistancerunner

Sermon begins with "This is not intended to scare children"

Post by longdistancerunner »

I found this fascinating sermon of "What is Hell Like" by Jimmy Allen. Allen came to regret it in his later years. Very telling is in his intro he says that it is not intended to scare children.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4teXOv53jc&t=2667s

Most interesting to me is his description of an atheist's funeral services at 34:00. Also at 32:00 he relates a story about his mother's death, so no one is spared. I checked and his mother was killed in a train wreck but I wonder if the story Allen tells was not a bit exaggerated.

I remember a little bit about him, he gave a gospel meeting at a large coliseum where I lived, he overall tended to be more moderate than many of the other evangelists of his time but this is not an example of that obviously.

His oratory is excellent. I understand that once his invitation song "Just as I Am" went on for 45 minutes.

I understand that he only had 7 sermons total and unlike many evangelists he did not preach exclusively, he was a Bible professor at Harding most of the time.
B.H.

Re: Sermon begins with "This is not intended to scare children"

Post by B.H. »

I'm not watching it unless Agricola, Ivy, or Moogie hold my hand. It might skeert me.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
B.H.

Re: Sermon begins with "This is not intended to scare children"

Post by B.H. »

Seriously though, you should read some of the descriptions of what hell will be like in the Holy Quran. It will scare little children and adult alike. Hell is actually a living thing and feeds of those sent to it. There is fire and boiling hot water to drink. And a nasty tree with nasty fruit that produces nasty food. And your skin gets stripped. Not a place I want to be or plan to be in
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx