What the CoC is right about?

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
longdistancerunner

Re: What the CoC is right about?

Post by longdistancerunner »

FinallyFree wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:33 pm I was thinking about this topic when I was lying in bed last night. I don’t think the CofC is right about much, IMO. I don’t agree with a literal interpretation of everything in the Bible, and I don’t think the important thing is being right about everything. I have been out of the CofC almost nine years now and have never missed it for one second.
What made you decide to leave? I never believed their BS except before I was a teenager. All you have to do is read the gospels to realize they are totally wrong. I was particularly influenced by the ideas of Albert Schweitzer, who ironically was more of a "Christian" than almost anyone who believed. He lost his faith doing his dissertation on The Historical Jesus, still considered a seminal work in the area.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Schweitzer took the verse"if you do not believe in me believe in the things that I do" to heart. He was always trying to better the world. He ended up dying in Africa helping a poor hospital and orphanage. I have a lot of respect for that man. He really did try to dona lot of good.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
FinallyFree

Post by FinallyFree »

Longdistancerunnner, the main reason for my disillusionment was having a gay son, and someone exposing him at our church when he was in high school. Many other factors contributed to leaving, though.
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

The only correct thing I was taught in the COC is that I should think for myself, and not believe things just because some preacher said them. I don’t think the COCers really meant it. Once I followed that instruction, I left their church in the dust.
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages