Religion vs Spirituality

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
agricola

Re: Religion vs Spirituality

Post by agricola »

There are quite a number of local Native Americans (oh for pete's sake! - around here where PC hasn't yet made much impact, even the INDIANS call themselves 'Indians') -

Anyway, the Indians around here prefer tens or fifties because they don't like Jackson. But it's a preference only. Twenties are fine if nothing else is available.

One reason I don't care much for the original photo is that is objectifies 'Native Americans' and that is a kind of racist behavior. Not all Indians wear/wore buckskin with fringe. Not all Indians rode horses. Not all Indians....are 'Indians' really - they are Sioux or Cherokee or Shoshone or Navaho or Flathead or Mohawk or Blackfoot or Cheyenne or Hopi or Yupak...

(our locals are Shoshone (who are related to Utes and Blackfoot) or Paiute - mostly)

It is just as 'racist' to put a whole set of groups into a single 'spiritually admirable' box as it is to put a whole set of groups into a box labeled 'objectionable' based on some single characteristic (skin color, ethnicity).

Lumping seven hundred odd (or two thousand something - I've heard both) different tribal groups into 'Indians' isn't any better than lumping Moroccans with Kenyans and both with Rwandans and pigmy tribes and calling them all 'Africans' as if they were interchangeable.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Lev

Post by Lev »

agricola wrote:There are quite a number of local Native Americans (oh for pete's sake! - around here where PC hasn't yet made much impact, even the INDIANS call themselves 'Indians')
I avoid using "Indians" because it's an incorrect term for the collection of tribes you mentioned and I sometimes talk about people from India. I like to be clear about which group I'm referring to. Not overtly trying to be PC. If I were I'd probably go full Canadian and use the term "First Nations."

Otherwise, right on.

Lev
KLP

Post by KLP »

Lev wrote:... If I were I'd probably go full Canadian and use the term "First Nations."
Lev
But then that would be offensive to Mormons since they hold that the Indians merely derived from the Nephites after they became corrupted. So they can't be first nations. ;)
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

And a lot of Jews over the years were converts from other nations and genetic lines too. 8-)
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
Lev

Post by Lev »

klp wrote:But then that would be offensive to Mormons since they hold that the Indians merely derived from the Nephites after they became corrupted. So they can't be first nations. ;)
After giving it some thought I've come to the conclusion that I'm OK with that. If there were any evidence to back up the LDS claims I would try to avoid offending them. As it is, I'm not bothered by it.

Lev
KLP

Post by KLP »

Lev wrote:
klp wrote:But then that would be offensive to Mormons since they hold that the Indians merely derived from the Nephites after they became corrupted. So they can't be first nations. ;)
After giving it some thought I've come to the conclusion that I'm OK with that. If there were any evidence to back up the LDS claims I would try to avoid offending them. As it is, I'm not bothered by it.

Lev
So you take into consideration whether or not there is actual evidence to support a deeply held belief or claim. Yeah, I sort of agree with that too.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
ena

Post by ena »

Lev wrote:

Lev
Joseph Smith was a creative person that told some whoppers. The proof lies in the Book of Abraham and the Book of Mormon. The proof that he attempted to translate a Egyptian Book of Dead whose real translation is known. It is commonly found in mummy cases. Smith's translation does not come close. They actually lost an Egyptologist over it. There is a dvd called "DNA and the Book of Mormon." There were no Jewish gene markers found among Indian tribes extending from North to South America. I have been aware of the underbelly of the Mormon religion since the mid 1970's. Joseph knew some things but took others to far and ran into the facts. Mormon apologists are busy working on it doing a white wash. It is similar to what holocaust deniers do.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Abraham
http://www.amazon.com/DNA-Book-Mormon-R ... +of+mormon
ena

Post by ena »

Jerald and Sandra Tanner were once Mormons. Sandra is a descendent of Brigham Young. They left their testimonies here. They are an interesting read. There are similarities between the Mormon Church and the CoC. Look for them:
http://www.utlm.org/testimony/chworldtestimony.htm
utlm stands for Utah Lighthouse Ministry..