missionary society

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
B.H.

missionary society

Post by B.H. »

Just what was the problem with a "Missionary Society?"
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
lvmaus

Re: missionary society

Post by lvmaus »

B.H. wrote:Just what was the problem with a "Missionary Society?"
Certainly didn't bother Alexander Campbell. He received a ton of flak from the more conservative CoC members for his pro stance.
Unity in diversity
lvmaus

Post by lvmaus »

Several reasons I would imagine, one being that the MS collided with "Where the Bible is silent we're silent ..." CoC slogan. Many in the CoC believed, and still do, that the individual church should do ALL the missionary work and NOT pool their resources to spread the gospel ... it's written in invisible ink in their unwritten creeds!
Unity in diversity
zeek

Post by zeek »

Last edited by zeek on Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lev

Post by Lev »

A LOT of the things that the COC is against are related to money.

Lev
bnot

Post by bnot »

From what I was taught, since there is no example in the Bible it's not authorized. No example of paying utilities or holding a gospel meeting and paying for fliers and guest speakers either. My church would hold a "voluntary" second collection to donate to a preacher in the Philippines and a childrens home. Whatever they got from that would be divided up and sent out. They really thought if they gave from the obligatory offering it would be a sin.