Were you chastised for marrying outside the church?

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
candace

Re: Were you chastised for marrying outside the church?

Post by candace »

I have never been married, so I got lucky and never got the pressure to convert a spouse.
Melanie

Post by Melanie »

My daughter announced her engagement to the family at Thanksgiving dinner this week. My sister-in-law's first and only question was "Has he been baptized or does he just attend church with her because they are dating?" This is the same sister-in-law who asked me if there was a strong church nearby when my husband and I told her we had bought the property we want to retire to someday. By the way, I answered the question with, "He's a Christian; do you want to wash or dry?"
agricola

Post by agricola »

Melanie wrote:My daughter announced her engagement to the family at Thanksgiving dinner this week. My sister-in-law's first and only question was "Has he been baptized or does he just attend church with her because they are dating?" This is the same sister-in-law who asked me if there was a strong church nearby when my husband and I told her we had bought the property we want to retire to someday. By the way, I answered the question with, "He's a Christian; do you want to wash or dry?"
Excellent answer!
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Ascentionist

Post by Ascentionist »

My first serious girlfriend in high school had a kid and was recently divorced. Her husband had cheated on her but she also had sex before the divorce was final so it was deemed that she didn't have scriptural grounds for divorce. I was pressured into breaking up with her.

The sad thing was we were really in love. I was the first guy she dated that didn't abuse her. I was a "good influence" on her as well. But because I broke up with her she completely rejected religion after that.

I still feel horrible for putting her through all that.