That Time of Year Again

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
agricola

Re: That Time of Year Again

Post by agricola »

St Nicolas was a real person, but Santa Claus just trades on the similarity of names - they are actually two completely different people with completely different backstories....

also see 'Krampus'
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
faithfyl

Post by faithfyl »

klp wrote:Holiday comes from a root idea of "Holy Day"...not everyone accepts that there are such things as Holy Days. The word Holiday is therefore insensitive. :)

I don't think Faithfyl said anything about putting up a crèche. I took the question more like what is the big deal if you happen to call it this or that? Is the sky really going to fall if you happen to use the C word? IMO, people are just way too sensitive these days or at least they claim to be sensitive.
I've never seen a crèche or nativity type scene at any office Christmas/holiday party. The last place I worked at though, had one of these parties, and then told us we weren't allowed to refer to it as "Christmas" party. A few people slipped and forgot and used the word. Just human nature. People forget things. I'd hate for someone to get so offended that they decided to sue the company over it and claim it was religious discrimination, but realistically that could happen.

I've been to a work party at a hotel and there just happened to be a large Christmas tree in the banquet room. Should they have asked for it to be removed in case it offended someone? Christmas trees aren't really religious symbols anyway. Also, same goes for Frosty the Snowman, reindeer, elves, etc. none of these things are religious symbols, or symbols of Christianity or any other religion that I know of. Also apparently some people believe that the ballet "The Nutcracker" is about Christmas and didn't want their children attending it on a school field trip, so it was cancelled. What a shame. The Nutcracker is not really about Christmas at all, although there is one scene in the opening act that takes place on Christmas morning. Its not pushing a religious belief, its a fantasy story written by Tchaikovsky.
illuminator

Post by illuminator »

A friend just posted on Facebook and proudly announced her Christmas shopping was finished. All her loved ones will receive a copy of Muscle and a Shovel. Personally, I'd rather have coal in my stocking.

Speaking of Shovel, I hear there's a sequel, When Shovels Break. Is it as bad as the first?
faithfyl

Post by faithfyl »

illuminator wrote:A friend just posted on Facebook and proudly announced her Christmas shopping was finished. All her loved ones will receive a copy of Muscle and a Shovel. Personally, I'd rather have coal in my stocking.

Speaking of Shovel, I hear there's a sequel, When Shovels Break. Is it as bad as the first?
I read the reviews of Shovel, yes apparently, its novel type book, written by someone in a C of C pushing the concept that they are the only ones saved. The same concept that has driven untold thousands of people away from this religion for years now.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

katisha wrote:I was not raised in the CofC. My family did not attend regular church services anywhere, but my mother read us Bible stories (does anyone else remember that series that came out late 50's early 60's with beautiful pictures and great interpretations of the stories?
Was it Hurlbuts Stories of the Bible?
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

illuminator wrote:A friend just posted on Facebook and proudly announced her Christmas shopping was finished. All her loved ones will receive a copy of Muscle and a Shovel. Personally, I'd rather have coal in my stocking.
I too have finished my Christmas shopping. All of my loved ones will receive a copy of The Dragons of Eden by Carl Sagan.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Memtiger

Post by Memtiger »

Deck the Halls with track racks
falalalala lalalala
swoosh the hymnals out of the pew backs

oops sorry, but it is that time of year, too
zeek

Post by zeek »

Last edited by zeek on Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Memtiger

Post by Memtiger »

True, and we did not put song lyrics in an order of worship until I was long gone either.
juliac

Post by juliac »

Jesus' birth is the main reason I celebrate Christmas. Of course I celebrate Christmas as a secular holiday as well, but I was thankfully influenced by my mom's Catholic family growing up - so I was exposed to the real "Christmas story."

It amazes me how much emphasis that my family (those still in the C o C) put on "being thankful" with Christmas. Of course we should always be thankful for all the blessings we've been given, but it seems like they put more emphasis on giving thanks at Christmas than they do Thanksgiving! I can remember years ago when my Aunt came over balling her eyes out on Christmas Eve because her daughter didn't believe in Santa anymore. She kept saying that, "Christmas is now ruined. What do I have to look forward too now!"
Currently writing a book based on my experiences as a child in the CoC. Watch for updates so I can include other ex-members insights :)