That Time of Year Again

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
agricola

Re: That Time of Year Again

Post by agricola »

At the time my friend told me that (Santa must be in the Bible), she was already in her thirties. She'd just never actually READ the Bible (or very little of it) and didn't know what was in it. She just assumed, based on the overwhelming presence of Santa at Christmas.

sigh.

She's past sixty now. I could ask her if she still thinks that, but it seems intrusive.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
illuminator

Post by illuminator »

I remember a lady who decorated the church bulletin with a Christmas wreath. Boy, did ever get it!
candace

Post by candace »

katisha wrote:I was not raised in the CofC. My family did not attend regular church services anywhere, but my mother read us Bible stories (does anyone else remember that series that came out late 50's early 60's with beautiful pictures and great interpretations of the stories? I remember a lot of blue on the covers.) and we were allowed to go to Sunday school with friends if we wanted to. Christmas was neither secular or overtly religious, but Christmas carols of any kind were permitted.

When I was "added" to the CofC, I had to go through a bit of culture shock in regards to the attitude towards Christmas and Easter. I really struggled with the idea that we couldn't even listen to or sing the beautiful carols I was brought up on. I really missed them. But I secretly kept them, in my heart, where it really matters.

Now that I am FREE, I listen to all the carols I want, I sing along with them, I watch the beautiful pageants on TV, and I rejoice in what the day really means. The CofC tried to beat all of that out of me, but I have flourished in the fresh air of reality, and look forward to many years of embracing the Christmas spirit in it's entirety.
I think these were the books

http://thebiblestory.com/tbs/index.php