Do you have a favorite Bible?

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
agricola

Re: Do you have a favorite Bible?

Post by agricola »

illuminator wrote:Sheesh. Sorry I asked.
Not your fault. Just hit an unexpected nerve. Sorry.

Bart Ehrman's work touches on the topic of 'good translations' as well as the topic of the nature of the NT writings and their transmission. I'm not sure which standard translation he thinks is 'best' though, or if he has every said one way or the other. There might be a reasonable case to be made for different translations for different PARTS of 'the Bible' rather than assuming a single person or committee is going to be excellent in two separate languages - three I guess, if you include English.

One thing to consider is that the OT was written over many centuries (minimum of 4, or as many as 10) in Hebrew, and of course Hebrew itself changed over that length of time, while the NT was written (or the earliest texts we know of were written) in Greek.
(four centuries is about how far we today are separated from Shakespeare, and he wrote in 'English' but we can't understand him all that well without footnotes)

Greek is at least an Indo-European language, but Hebrew is Semitic - ideas conceived and written in Hebrew aren't always easy to bring over into Greek, and both are tricky to put into modern English. The whole mindset is different.

Just one simple example: in Greek thought, apparently the sea is a dark color ('the wine dark sea'). That is not a simile that would spring to mind nowadays. I read a whole essay about that phrase once, ranging from a possible change in human evolution involving how the eye sees color (unlikely) to a cultural awareness discussion on how we classify colors, emotions and impressions. Just on that one phrase (and similar ones) from antiquity.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

illuminator wrote:Sheesh. Sorry I asked.
Actually I'm glad you asked......as Agri said, it hits a nerve for some of us from
ultra conservative cofc backgrounds.....the translation was a topic of concern, it was
important for it to be the "PERFECT" translation.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
agricola

Post by agricola »

The KJV was the version of choice, certainly. When the RSV came out, it was a bit controversial. The NEW RSV even more so. I don't think - as far as I remember that is - that there was ever any official pronouncement about which translation should always be used, but certainly the one and only version ever officially READ from the podium (or quoted by the preacher) was the KJV (itself revised from the 1611 version of course, but nobody ever brought that up).

Like a whole lot of things at church, there was this UNSPOKEN (but obvious) message about proper versions.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
OneStrike_ur_out

Post by OneStrike_ur_out »

The King James Only movement originated in the cOC. :)
"HE HAS GOTTEN PULLED AWAY!!"-The cOC's go-to answer whenever someone leaves.
williamray123

Post by williamray123 »

OneStrike_ur_out wrote:The King James Only movement originated in the cOC. :)
I have read CoC articles about how the NIV is a bad translation. Then I took a theology class at a local college and they compared versions based on harder to translate passages. The NIV was considered consistently better at the harder passages, and I saw the versions side-by-side. So the CoC take on the NIV is pretty much wrong.
candace

Post by candace »

Anyway, back to the topic of favorite translation. I currently have an NIV Bible, which is ok, but I think the next one I get will be the English Standard Version because of the research they've done in finding the best Greek or Hebrew texts to translate. I've used the Good News Bible, KJV, NASB, and Living Bible. My opinion is mixed on all of them, though.
candace

Post by candace »

By the way, a lot of Baptists are KJV only. There is speculation King James was a gay man, and they so hate hearing that...
agricola

Post by agricola »

candace wrote:Anyway, back to the topic of favorite translation. I currently have an NIV Bible, which is ok, but I think the next one I get will be the English Standard Version because of the research they've done in finding the best Greek or Hebrew texts to translate. I've used the Good News Bible, KJV, NASB, and Living Bible. My opinion is mixed on all of them, though.
I really found a lot of value in having several translation to refer to - and that Interpreter's Bible (I think that was the name) was really helpful for that - four major versions in one volume!

There's a basic philosophical difference related to translating however: one goes for the best most literally correct version - even though it might not always make sense to the modern reader because of cultural issues. The other goes for the best most correct communication version - even though it might not be literally accurate, but it gets the main idea over to us today much better.

It is a good idea to read the 'translator's note' or intro to any translation, so you know which side the translators leaned toward. The communication versions are much easier to read, but are not as 'accurate' to the text. Better translations have a lot of footnotes regardless - either explaining what the text literally said, or explaining what (they think) the text they translated 'literally' actually means.

As you'd expect - poetry is the hardest stuff to translate.
agricola

Post by agricola »

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywor ... grnrjwvv_b

Lot's of choices!

I'd go for a 'lay flat' version if possible, but I must admit, the volume labeled as 'by GOD and John Calvin' certainly sounds pretty cool!
juliac

Post by juliac »

I recently have been using the NKJV on my Bible app - I probably will buy a hardcopy of it soon!
Currently writing a book based on my experiences as a child in the CoC. Watch for updates so I can include other ex-members insights :)