Do you have a favorite Bible?

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
cathym

Re: Do you have a favorite Bible?

Post by cathym »

RSV was the favored translation in my house when I was growing up; replaced by first NASB and then the ESV, once it came out, since they stopped publishing the RSV. NIV was very popular when I was at Harding. NRSV was rejected because it used gender-neutral language in places, IIRC; KJV was rejected for inaccuracy and difficulty; NKJV because it kept most of the bad about the KJV.

There days, I mostly use the AndBible app on my phone or tablet, which has a variety of mostly-older translations, which are sometimes interesting, and also ESV, so I still default to that.
agricola

Post by agricola »

h**p://www.notjustanotherbook.com/biblecomparison.htm

This site lists about two dozen different English translations, ranks them from 'word for word' to 'paraphrase' and also gives an approximate grade for the reading level, which is pretty interesting too. It isn't comprehensive (yet) but I think they are trying.

PS - the KJV is ranked at 'grade 13' which indicates that at least some college level education would be appropriate in order to properly read and understand the King James version.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

When I read the Bible I like the Catholic ones. I like reading the books in them that are not in the Protestant ones.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
teresa
Site Admin

Post by teresa »

I have split the topic. The posts regarding whether a Jew can also be a Christian or not is now in the Coffee House.
candace

Post by candace »

teresa wrote:I have split the topic. The posts regarding whether a Jew can also be a Christian or not is now in the Coffee House.
Thanks!
candace

Post by candace »

B.H. wrote:When I read the Bible I like the Catholic ones. I like reading the books in them that are not in the Protestant ones.
I do like reading the books in Catholic Bibles that aren't in Protestant Bibles.
MusicMan826

Post by MusicMan826 »

I always used the NKJV. I think most people at our church used that one actually. I don't recall anyone ever saying that you should only use the KJV, but it seemed like the older members usually preferred that one. I also remember having The Living Bible at our house, but my parents didn't really want anyone to know that we had that. I guess it was really looked down upon, I don't know a lot about it to be honest.
OneStrike_ur_out

Post by OneStrike_ur_out »

williamray123 wrote:
OneStrike_ur_out wrote:The King James Only movement originated in the cOC. :)
I have read CoC articles about how the NIV is a bad translation. Then I took a theology class at a local college and they compared versions based on harder to translate passages. The NIV was considered consistently better at the harder passages, and I saw the versions side-by-side. So the CoC take on the NIV is pretty much wrong.
Bringing a NIV Bible to a cOC service is grounds for immediate withdrawal! :lol:
"HE HAS GOTTEN PULLED AWAY!!"-The cOC's go-to answer whenever someone leaves.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

OneStrike_ur_out wrote:
williamray123 wrote:
OneStrike_ur_out wrote:The King James Only movement originated in the cOC. :)
I have read CoC articles about how the NIV is a bad translation. Then I took a theology class at a local college and they compared versions based on harder to translate passages. The NIV was considered consistently better at the harder passages, and I saw the versions side-by-side. So the CoC take on the NIV is pretty much wrong.
Bringing a NIV Bible to a cOC service is grounds for immediate withdrawal! :lol:
I used to use an NIV. Got a few comments about it.

What is the latest sexy version in cofc circles? Are they still using the NKJV?
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
KLP

Post by KLP »

ESV is pretty good, but nothing beats a good old American Standard. :) That shows folks you are serious and hard core.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.