Pepperdine University

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
candace

Pepperdine University

Post by candace »

Surprised by this story... I'm all for LGBTQ rights, but I never expected Pepperdine to be involved in it... http://college.usatoday.com/2015/12/22/ ... epperdine/
cathym

Re: Pepperdine University

Post by cathym »

I'm not terribly surprised. Pepperdine is the most liberal of to schools more-or-less associated with the CoC -- in the South where I grew up, the common opinion I heard was the Pepperdine used to be a Christian college, but here in SoCal, it's popular among the churches still.

And being in SoCal, they probably can't easily get away with banning same-sex relationships altogether, or at least they haven't chosen to, or the statement and the actions would have been different. So the response to the harassment is pretty much what it would be at a non-religious school -- a lawsuit.
bnot

Post by bnot »

I'm not surprised, but they should have shown better judgment. It shouldn't have come to this.
agricola

Post by agricola »

Even forty years ago, Pepperdine was 'suspect' (among southern coc congregations) as a coc college - WAY too liberal! I do hear it has a truly beautiful campus, though.

And there you are - Pepperdine is 'committed to a diverse' etc - can't be a sound coc college with that kind of attitude.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
JKendallDane

Post by JKendallDane »

agricola wrote:Even forty years ago, Pepperdine was 'suspect' (among southern coc congregations) as a coc college - WAY too liberal! I do hear it has a truly beautiful campus, though.

And there you are - Pepperdine is 'committed to a diverse' etc - can't be a sound coc college with that kind of attitude.
It wasn't just southern congregations.

I grew up in Ohio in the 1960s and '70s and the quickest way to get labeled as being on the fast track to hell (or get your parents off your butt about choosing a cOc college) was to announce that you intended on applying to Pepperdine. The heathenistic party school of Ohio University and even UC Berkley were considered "safer" bets for your soul than going to Pepperdine. :roll:
God gave us dogs so we would understand love, and then gave us cats so we could comprehend serving others.
faithfyl

Post by faithfyl »

If the court rules against Pepperdine, it will be interesting to see how it impacts other C of C colleges.
zeek

Post by zeek »

Last edited by zeek on Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
candace

Post by candace »

faithfyl wrote:If the court rules against Pepperdine, it will be interesting to see how it impacts other C of C colleges.
I wonder if other coc colleges will follow suit to avoid any problems...