LS only and every Sunday

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
agricola

Re: LS only and every Sunday

Post by agricola »

Nowadays I just think it is weird how a simple statement that basically says 'guys, think about me when you get together like this, hey?' turned into a raging debate about exactly under what conditions, when and where. You'd think they wouldn't care whether they were at Joe's place or out at the pub, as long as they took a moment to remember their buddy who was gone at least once. Raise a glass or something.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
musicman

Post by musicman »

katisha wrote:I asked this question once while still a member, and got plenty of dirty looks for asking it, but here goes:

Given: Christ rose from the dead on the first day of the week, which we call Sunday.
Given: The apostles and believers gathered together 50 days after the resurrection and received the Holy Spirit
Given: From that point on that day has been called Pentecost.

Now here is my question: if you count 50 days from Easter Sunday, you end up on a Monday. So how could the 3000 new believers have taken part in the LS on the first day of the week? They would have had to wait until the following Sunday. Right?
That's a good point.

C o C insists that the "Lawrd's Supper" is to be taken ONLY on Sunday..even though it wasn't instituted on that day.
agricola

Post by agricola »

It's been brought up before - buy, hey:

'Pentecost' is a real event and existed a long long LONG time before Jesus. It's in Leviticus chapter 23: count seven weeks from Passover and the next day is a festival, aka 'First Fruits'.

(It has several names, actually - 'Shavuot (or Shavuos)' meaning 'weeks' (as in 'The Feast of Weeks') and since 'Shavuot' is one of those words that has two different meanings it is also the 'Feast of Vows'). The word 'Pentecost' is the Greek version and that word is just 'Fifty', because seven weeks is 49 days and the next day is of course the fiftieth day).

It is considered in Judaism to be the anniversary of the giving of the Torah at Mount Sinai, and the Christian appropriation of it for the 'revelation' to the apostles is blatant copying, frankly. If Jesus is the embodiment of Torah (this discussion is going on over on the 'other side' of this board) and if the Torah was delivered to the Jews on Shavuot then Jesus is naturally being similarly 'delivered' on Shavuot. You even get the fire image from the Burning Bush which ties nicely in with a common image of the Torah as being written with letter of fire....

Every bit of that story is all about theology, and next to nothing about days and dates.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
agricola

Post by agricola »

By the way - quite a few folks have found THIS side of the board (the support discussions) without going through the 'main site', and the main site is well worth a visit!

Especially for the articles on doctrines of the coc (compared to normative standard Christian doctrines) -

anyway - if you (the reader) haven't been to the main portal, here is the link:

h**p://www.ex-churchofchrist.com/
Lev

Post by Lev »

Agricola,

Can you also post a link to the 'other side' of the discussion board? The one linked from the main page seems to be down--no doubt a victim of the same crash that brought this side down.

Thanks,
Lev
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

I don't post on the other board. Sometimes those folks need to be told bluntly how they are wrong and why and teresa won't allow it.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
agricola

Post by agricola »

h**p://members.usafreeforum.com/

I have to admit, I do something on that board that I have never done on any other discussion board I've ever been on: I've blocked some posters.

The dialog board (as opposed to the support board) is not as active, but generally I avoid the discussions on baptism (which are mostly on the minutiae of exactly which nanosecond one is 'saved' during the process of being dunked (and of course, the necessity of being completely and totally physically dunked).
zeek

Post by zeek »

Last edited by zeek on Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
agricola

Post by agricola »

You can register with different names for extra privacy. Or you can just register with the same username for both sides. Options.
DashRipRock

Post by DashRipRock »

B.H. wrote: Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:50 pm I don't post on the other board. Sometimes those folks need to be told bluntly how they are wrong and why and teresa won't allow it.
Unnecessary comments were removed ....thanks B.H. :D
Last edited by DashRipRock on Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.