example of Church of Christ silliness

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
onward

Re: example of Church of Christ silliness

Post by onward »

faithfyl wrote:I don't want to drink out of the same cup as everyone else, or pinch off the same loaf of bread, because I do not want someone else's germs. It is more sanitary to have individual cups and pieces of cracker.
In a one-cup/loaf church (gross to the max) I would immediately move from my comfortable backseat pew to the front pew ... being first in line is a no-brainer.
Freedom in Christ always trumps slavery to legalism
Lev

Post by Lev »

faithfyl wrote:Our church has gluten free crackers now for communion. Is that scriptural? I bet that could be another 140 page book.
I've heard of COCs refusing to offer gluten-free bread. God will protect those with Celiac disease, provided they have enough faith of course. Same mentality as snake-handling?

Lev
Moogy

Post by Moogy »

Lev wrote:
faithfyl wrote:Our church has gluten free crackers now for communion. Is that scriptural? I bet that could be another 140 page book.
I've heard of COCs refusing to offer gluten-free bread. God will protect those with Celiac disease, provided they have enough faith of course. Same mentality as snake-handling?

Lev
Why not just serve gluten-free to everyone? Nah, that would make too much sense!
Moogy
NI COC for over 30 years, but out for over 40 years now
Mostly Methodist for about 30 years.
Left the UMC in 2019 based on their decision to condemn LGBT+ persons and to discipline Pastors who perform same-sex marriages
Lev

Post by Lev »

Moogy wrote:Why not just serve gluten-free to everyone? Nah, that would make too much sense!
Something about it not being 'real' bread. Well, then what about alcohol-free wine? Consistency is not one of the COC's strong points.

Lev
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

onward wrote:
faithfyl wrote:I don't want to drink out of the same cup as everyone else, or pinch off the same loaf of bread, because I do not want someone else's germs. It is more sanitary to have individual cups and pieces of cracker.
In a one-cup/loaf church (gross to the max) I would immediately move from my comfortable backseat pew to the front pew ... being first in line is a no-brainer.

You'd be able to hear the sermon better then.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
onward

Post by onward »

B.H. wrote:
onward wrote:

You'd be able to hear the sermon better then.
Very true! In my backseat pew (reprobate section) I could wear my earbuds without the pulpiteer noticing.
red letter man

Post by red letter man »

If...somehow...we were able to duplicate the last supper down to the exact minute detail...using the same cup, ( or cups) the same bread , on the original table in the original room wearing the original clothes, etcetera ...but did not have love in our hearts ....what good is it at all?
onward

Post by onward »

red letter man wrote:If...somehow...we were able to duplicate the last supper down to the exact minute detail...using the same cup, ( or cups) the same bread , on the original table in the original room wearing the original clothes, etcetera ...but did not have love in our hearts ....what good is it at all?
Some church groups feel absolutely compelled to literally recreate the exact practices the first century church followed, and anything - less or more - than walking in exactly the same steps, automatically puts one on a fast track to Hell.

Churches today (blinded by their church traditions) practice a communion observance that is completely out-of-whack with the early church method. We don't have to walk lockstep with the early church in every aspect to be acceptable to the Creator, IMHO.
williamray123

Post by williamray123 »

onward wrote:
red letter man wrote:If...somehow...we were able to duplicate the last supper down to the exact minute detail...using the same cup, ( or cups) the same bread , on the original table in the original room wearing the original clothes, etcetera ...but did not have love in our hearts ....what good is it at all?
Some church groups feel absolutely compelled to literally recreate the exact practices the first century church followed, and anything - less or more - than walking in exactly the same steps, automatically puts one on a fast track to Hell.

Churches today (blinded by their church traditions) practice a communion observance that is completely out-of-whack with the early church method. We don't have to walk lockstep with the early church in every aspect to be acceptable to the Creator, IMHO.
Well if we really re-created the last supper, it would be a Jewish passover and on a thursday night, correct?
agricola

Post by agricola »

williamray123 wrote:
onward wrote:

Well if we really re-created the last supper, it would be a Jewish passover and on a thursday night, correct?
Not necessarily. The gospels aren't congruent on that point.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.