Visiting Other Churches

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
OneStrike_ur_out

Re: Visiting Other Churches

Post by OneStrike_ur_out »

I recall getting into trouble after church one Sunday morning for fraternizing with someone from the Baptist church that was located right next to the cOC we were a part of at that time. I was in Kindergarten or 1st grade and it was the very first church I was a part of. The horrible Baptist church was rock throwing distance from us. One Sunday morning after church let out, I saw someone who was a friend of a friend walking in the parking lot of that church. They typically let out about 30 minutes after we did, but for some reason, their service times were different that day, so they were getting out at the same time we were. I heard my name, looked up and saw a kid wave. I waved back. WRONG thing to do. My mom gave me hell on the way home about that. "I know you were just saying hi, but that doesn't look good to be seen talking to someone from there when we just got out of church, so chat with him some other time" or something to that effect. My mom was WAYYYY overboard back then. She is still a member of the cOC, but she has mellowed out a good bit and has even said that the whole "we are the ONE true church" business does not sit well with her anymore. The funny thing is, years and years after we left that particular cOC, they relocated so that they could have a larger building. And what did they do with their old building and the property? They sold it to that evil Baptist church located right next door! They spent years taking shots at them and talking about how they didn't teach the truth and were just wicked. Yet, when those awful Baptists walked over one day to talk about buying the building and the property, the "one true church" not only welcomed their sworn enemies with open arms, but actually hugged them when the meeting was over, because they were SO happy with the offer! They sure had NO problem taking that Baptist money so that they could fund their new building. :mrgreen:
"HE HAS GOTTEN PULLED AWAY!!"-The cOC's go-to answer whenever someone leaves.
Vincentstruggler

Post by Vincentstruggler »

The CofC that my dad attended before my mother's death is about to start building a new building. My dad is fretting over the fact that they might sell the building to a "denomination". Wow! The things we were told about visiting other churches when growing up were mostly lies also!
Pitts S2C

Post by Pitts S2C »

It's time the coc abandons their denominational like behavior of meeting in buildings. The example is to meet in homes. That is an example that doesn't require any form of necessary inference or expedience. It's hypocrisy...and it's cheaper.
Vincentstruggler

Post by Vincentstruggler »

Pitts S2C wrote:It's time the coc abandons their denominational like behavior of meeting in buildings. The example is to meet in homes. That is an example that doesn't require any form of necessary inference or expedience. It's hypocrisy...and it's cheaper.
Amen! You sound like my husband and me discussing the $$ it take to have a building and what all that takes, you have to have insurance, utilities, pay a preacher, etc. Is that a wise use of the funds that we have been blessed with?