Oh, golly

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
candace

Oh, golly

Post by candace »

And while the rest of us in Pennsylvania and the entire Mid-Atlantic region finally dug out from this weekend's blizzard that topped the one we had 20 years ago, I found out today that the coc I attended near my house actually still had their service at 2:00 or 2:30 pm this afternoon. Seriously? Every other church in my area cancelled services (I'm in Bethlehem, and my current church cancelled because it took forever to clear out the parking lot.) Public school districts and private schools in Bethlehem and the neighboring cities and towns in the Lehigh Valley area cancelled classes for tomorrow. Yep, good old Hebrews 10:24-25. Anyone else ever have to schlepp it out in horrible weather to a coc? Sheesh...
zeek

Re: Oh, golly

Post by zeek »

Last edited by zeek on Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pitts S2C

Post by Pitts S2C »

Yes. My family got our huge green rear wheel drive station wagon stuck in the snow countless times trying to make it to Church when I was growing up (even with snow tires and sometimes chains). It was a badge of honor. You simply cannot miss the weekly traditional lords supper. I think it was more about checking that off of the list than anything else. My Grandfather the Elder always used chains near Pittsburgh and would leave super early to make it to Church on time for the required 3 times per week.
Opie

Post by Opie »

Yes, I remember a few trips on roads covered with ice and snow so that we could be sure we checked off all 5 items on the "5 Acts of Worship" checklist. I also remember hearing snide remarks from elders and preachers putting down other churches who canceled services. Then one Sunday morning one of the elders slipped in the icy, snow-packed parking lot and injured himself. And the next time it snowed, our services were canceled along with all of the other denominations in town.
"If I had to define my own theme, it would be that of a person who absorbed some of the worst the church has to offer, yet still landed in the loving arms of God." (From the book 'Soul Survivor' by Philip Yancy)
MusicMan826

Post by MusicMan826 »

Our elders were always good about cancelling services when the weather got really bad. There were few things I loved more than that phone call on a Wednesday afternoon or Saturday night during a snow storm to let us know that services were cancelled. The only thing they were weird about was putting the cancellation on the news listings with all the other churches...I guess if the denominations do it, we couldn't dare have our name on a list with them. Why include your church on the local news listings of church closing when you could spend an hour calling to let everyone know they don't need to get out in the horrible weather?

My mom would always get very angry when they cancelled services. I remember one Wednesday night when the roads were just awful she was stomping around the house ranting, "They didn't need to cancel, they should have just let one ones go that could make it and wanted to go!" But of course we only lived five minutes away, some people drove 30+ minutes and would risk their lives to make it on a Wednesday night to make sure they're a "model Christian". Also, at the time my mom was a stay at home mom, so church was literally the only time during the week she had any adult interaction besides my father at night, so she especially always looked forward to church.

I do recall one time they didn't cancel services on a Wednesday night when the roads were pretty bad. Two families ended up getting in an accident on the way that night. Neither family received any major injuries, but their cars were a different story. It's just sad that the COC puts so much emphasis on attendance that so many feel the need to literally risk their lives to make it so they can check that off of their to do lists.
Pitts S2C

Post by Pitts S2C »

The only time I remember that we were officially approved to cancel services was when the building lost power. One cannot read ones Bible without light & heat in the North.
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

Pitts S2C wrote:The only time I remember that we were officially approved to cancel services was when the building lost power. One cannot read ones Bible without light & heat in the North.
Unacceptable excuse. Slackers!!! There are always flashlights and oil burning lamps. The first century church
never had electricity. Church should build in a wood burning stove. :twisted:
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Lev

Post by Lev »

Pitts S2C wrote:The only time I remember that we were officially approved to cancel services was when the building lost power. One cannot read ones Bible without light & heat in the North.
I'm with Ivy: Slackers! Something about bringing extra oil and trimming wicks seems appropriate here.

Lev
Struggler

Post by Struggler »

Ivy wrote:
Unacceptable excuse. Slackers!!! There are always flashlights and oil burning lamps. The first century church
never had electricity. Church should build in a wood burning stove. :twisted:
When I was a kid, the power went out right as a Gospel Meeting service was about to begin. People who lived nearby brought flashlights and oil lamps and the service went on as usual.

In recent years, I've noticed that more C of C's are less reluctant to cancel services due to weather issues. These are more mainstream congregations, though. Not sure about the NI group.
agricola

Post by agricola »

I do not remember there EVER being an occasion when a service was cancelled. I don't even remember when they pushed the start time back more than maybe half an hour or so. All us regulars that risked life and limb driving on black ice in blizzards congratulated each other and ourselves on being clearly the most dedicated, and most likely to be truly saved, because we were THERE. ON SUNDAY (or whenever it was) because, you know, 'forsake not the assembly of yourselves together'. People who even missed an EVENING service due to weather were looked a bit down on, for being insufficiently dedicated.

Isn't it marvelous that I can still flawlessly quote that stuff when I haven't actually laid an eye on it in over thirty years?
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.