What does the COC think about Duck Dynasty?

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
bnot

What does the COC think about Duck Dynasty?

Post by bnot »

What have you heard, because they are not afraid to visit numerous "denominations" that use musical instruments. I know they have been to churches in my state, been on the most popular Christian radio stations which are not affiliated with the coc, as well as Phil Robertson who once attended the Harvest Crusade which is held every year at Angel Stadium https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOfzXgFrjew. A coc member would not dare go to such an event, unless done secretly. Have you heard any criticism thrown their way for hanging out with the "denominations"?
KLP

Re: What does the COC think about Duck Dynasty?

Post by KLP »

Alls I know is that at camp a few years back, on the final night out at the bonfire, a group of clean cut young men performed "He Paid It All" using only duck calls and it sorta got next to me. I will never be the same after hearing that chorus repeated for effect.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
Pitts S2C

Post by Pitts S2C »

2 years ago Jep Robertson flew up North to speak to my Chuch. It's a mega-Church of 5000 plus members over 2 services each Sunday. We were told the Robertson family reviewed our website including 'what we believe'. They also called around for references. Jep was 'approved' to speak to us. Over 10,000 people total attended the 2 services. It was packed. In fact, I helped with security duty for Jep. He actually did a great job. Very personable and sincere individual. Yes, we have instruments and it's loud. Jep loved it and fit right in. I think even some of the hard core coc'ers would have liked his 'lesson' and Q & A session.
zeek

Post by zeek »

Last edited by zeek on Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bnot

Post by bnot »

klp wrote:Alls I know is that at camp a few years back, on the final night out at the bonfire, a group of clean cut young men performed "He Paid It All" using only duck calls and it sorta got next to me. I will never be the same after hearing that chorus repeated for effect.
:lol: :lol:
bnot

Post by bnot »

Pitts S2C wrote:2 years ago Jep Robertson flew up North to speak to my Chuch. It's a mega-Church of 5000 plus members over 2 services each Sunday. We were told the Robertson family reviewed our website including 'what we believe'. They also called around for references. Jep was 'approved' to speak to us. Over 10,000 people total attended the 2 services. It was packed. In fact, I helped with security duty for Jep. He actually did a great job. Very personable and sincere individual. Yes, we have instruments and it's loud. Jep loved it and fit right in. I think even some of the hard core coc'ers would have liked his 'lesson' and Q & A session.
I love the fact they are interacting with other churches and not dishing out the coc arrogant, elitist attitude. I heard a radio interview done by Jep on Christian radio station and he was very cool, down to earth and respectful. I searched the internet and could not find any coc articles or comments claiming they were un-scriptural. I'm really surprised by that.

zeek wrote:Due to their wealth and national fame most coC's will fawn over the Duck Dynasty bunch and it wouldn't matter, much, what they engaged in doctrinally as long as they continue to profess to be coC. The coC wants so badly to be "somebody" in the world of American Christianity but in reality they are little more than a footnote and are becomeing less and less as the years pass by and their numbers continue in steady decline. The Duck Dynasty thing, they think, gives them somekind of credibility as a major hitter. The nauseating part is those guy with their mode of dress and personal grooming would be shunned in most congregations but for their fame and name. If joe average showed up looking like them he would be turned away.
That's a good point, the coc is not very popular and perhaps people are looking the other way because they have fame. They're very willing to step into a another church, but I, along with many coc people, were taught never step foot into another church.
Lev

Post by Lev »

The only comment I've heard from a COCer about the Duck Dynasty boys is that they need a haircut and they should stop drinking wine. Not having seen the show, I can't confirm the wine-drinking but I think we all know what their hair looks like.

Lev
Opie

Post by Opie »

In one episode Willie buys a vineyard and winery. The winery must be legit, because bottles of Duck Commander Merlot are available at a local store. I don't think the show gets much notice among the older CoC folks, who are the ones who would be scandalized by the wine and winery. There seem to be lots of Christians who have never forgiven Jesus for turning water into wine! :D
"If I had to define my own theme, it would be that of a person who absorbed some of the worst the church has to offer, yet still landed in the loving arms of God." (From the book 'Soul Survivor' by Philip Yancy)
zeek

Post by zeek »