The Narrow and Wide Path

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
ena

Re: The Narrow and Wide Path

Post by ena »

FCOCER wrote:It seems to me the next few verses show the coC is not on the narrow path. "Many will say to me in that day, have we not done this or that, but I will say, depart from me you who practice lawlessness." He is talking about people who think they are doing everything exactly right and believe they are owed salvation... IMO.
That is correct. The verse is in Matthew 7 KJV.

22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Jesus decides who goes or stays. He has that Power.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

Remember Church of Christ doctrine is just what Church of Christ preachers tell the itching ears of Church of Christ members. Telling people they are the one true church because they baptize for the forgiveness of sin, don't use instruments, ect is just telling itching ears what they want to hear
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
SolaDude

Post by SolaDude »

B.H. wrote:Remember Church of Christ doctrine is just what Church of Christ preachers tell the itching ears of Church of Christ members. Telling people they are the one true church because they baptize for the forgiveness of sin, don't use instruments, ect is just telling itching ears what they want to hear
It's a zero tolerance tightrope for a preacher. Say one thing that doesn't sit well with anyone who's been around for years, has power within the group, or whose only drive is being a hardliner, and you'll be hitting the streets, it's just a matter of time. One thing I remember hearing was the "umph' word, that is, "He just doesn't have the umph to bring in people", or "He just doesn't wake them up", or "He just isn't dynamic", etc. In other words, pervasive and endless judgmentalism. If God were in the pulpit, I'm not sure how long He or She would last.
KLP

Post by KLP »

As I recall, there are only two paths, wide and narrow. To me, it would be a curious argument to suggest that the CofC is in any way the "wide path" when it is constantly pointed out here how few members it comprises. :) I mean at least most CofC congregations have a water fountain, so they are giving water to the thirsty...check mark on at least some of that Matt 25 stuff. :)
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
B.H.

Post by B.H. »

KLP wrote:As I recall, there are only two paths, wide and narrow. To me, it would be a curious argument to suggest that the CofC is in any way the "wide path" when it is constantly pointed out here how few members it comprises. :) I mean at least most CofC congregations have a water fountain, so they are giving water to the thirsty...check mark on at least some of that Matt 25 stuff. :)
There could, theoretically speaking, be another church that is the one true church and the CoC is just another false church among many.

Or, maybe Jesus really said that and we mistakenly thought he was talking about being in the wrong church. He could have been talking about people who thought they were holy and righteous but refused to accept Islam.
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.----Karl Marx
ena

Post by ena »

Mathew 7 two verses later say:

15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

What are the fruits of the CoC? The problem is that Christian Indexing separates the Bible into segments and so the thinking of some people. The fruits are bickering and church splits. If you have been a CoC long enough there are times without peace at least in my 20+ years of imprisonment. I am familiar with the wolves.