The Narrow and Wide Path

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
FinallyFree

The Narrow and Wide Path

Post by FinallyFree »

Do any of you remember being taught that Matthew 7:13 & 14 supported that CofC teaching that we were the only saved ones? It was implied that this proved that you had to get every little thing just right and only a few people would do that. I have heard that all churches that teach they are the only right ones use these verses to back this up.
zeek

Re: The Narrow and Wide Path

Post by zeek »

Last edited by zeek on Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
onward

Post by onward »

FinallyFree wrote:Do any of you remember being taught that Matthew 7:13 & 14 supported that CofC teaching that we were the only saved ones? It was implied that this proved that you had to get every little thing just right and only a few people would do that. I have heard that all churches that teach they are the only right ones use these verses to back this up.
Since the path is so narrow, and they alone understand exactly what's right, it's only reasonable they alone will march through the pearly gates ... standard hardline CoC logic!
Freedom in Christ always trumps slavery to legalism
Ivy

Post by Ivy »

zeek wrote:They also loved to point to the verses in Proverbs that say "there is a way that seems right to a man but the end thereof is the way of death." to slam everyone else.
Yes, and they applied that to anything that made them feel uncomfortable......or fearful they were losing control of a family member.
~Stone Cold Ivyrose Austin~
Opie

Post by Opie »

Yes, I have many memories of how the CoC used these verses to prove they were the only ones saved. It doesn't seem that the thought ever occurred to anyone in the CoC that the "wide gate" is not only wide enough for all of those evil denominations and non-religious people, but it's also wide enough for those in the CoC who are self-righteous and judgmental and legalistic.
"If I had to define my own theme, it would be that of a person who absorbed some of the worst the church has to offer, yet still landed in the loving arms of God." (From the book 'Soul Survivor' by Philip Yancy)
onward

Post by onward »

Opie wrote:Yes, I have many memories of how the CoC used these verses to prove they were the only ones saved. It doesn't seem that the thought ever occurred to anyone in the CoC that the "wide gate" is not only wide enough for all of those evil denominations and non-religious people, but it's also wide enough for those in the CoC who are self-righteous and judgmental and legalistic.
Twisting the Scriptures to fit their preconceived beliefs is a never ending process for the hardline CoC tribes. The path they trod is a self-governed, and as you wrote, "self-righteous and judgmental and legalistic" path. Only those who walk lockstep with their EXACT understanding of the Scriptures are judged worthy to walk beside them.

The one-and-only "narrow path" is easily identified, it sports a sign reading ... THE CHURCH OF CHRIST. If your church has a sign with anything else written on it, you're automatically judged as an aimless meandering reprobate heading straight to Hell.
Struggler

Post by Struggler »

Ivy wrote:
zeek wrote:They also loved to point to the verses in Proverbs that say "there is a way that seems right to a man but the end thereof is the way of death." to slam everyone else.
Yes, and they applied that to anything that made them feel uncomfortable......or fearful they were losing control of a family member.
All the time. It seems so crazy now to be around anyone with that mindset.
KLP

Post by KLP »

I agree the CofC is whack on many things and is mostly concerned in "Brand Management". I guess my thought is do these passages have any application or value? If so, then how could they have been used in different way? I can see a group just ignoring them but I cannot see a more positive usage.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
agricola

Post by agricola »

It could be read to support other verses which have the same general thought: that there is the 'easy' way, and then there is the 'right' way in our lives, and the temptation is always to take the easy way because it is wide and tempting. But taking the right path is often hard and easy to overlook - for each individual. Honestly, I don't think the coc is 'wrong' in the interpretation of that verse, just applying it to inappropriate places (like having a steeple on the building or something). The verse applies for some decisions, but for others it is not a relevant passage.

They should read Pilgrim's Progress!
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
onward

Post by onward »

agricola wrote:It could be read to support other verses which have the same general thought: that there is the 'easy' way, and then there is the 'right' way in our lives, and the temptation is always to take the easy way because it is wide and tempting. But taking the right path is often hard and easy to overlook - for each individual. Honestly, I don't think the coc is 'wrong' in the interpretation of that verse, just applying it to inappropriate places (like having a steeple on the building or something). The verse applies for some decisions, but for others it is not a relevant passage.

They should read Pilgrim's Progress!
The correct interpretation, but the wrong application. Unfortunately, they tend to believe they are the only ones meandering down this narrow path.