It's Nice to NOT Have to Explain

A place to snark and vent about CoC doctrine and/or our experiences in the CoC. This is a place for SUPPORT and AGREEMENT only, not a place to tell someone their experience and feelings are wrong, or why we disagree with them.
zeek

It's Nice to NOT Have to Explain

Post by zeek »

Last edited by zeek on Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KLP

Re: It's Nice to NOT Have to Explain

Post by KLP »

It is hilarious as I sit here and think about all the time I spent explaining Christmas and Easter to those ignorant and happy "Christians" about how they were so wrong. LOL
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
agricola

Post by agricola »

klp wrote:It is hilarious as I sit here and think about all the time I spent explaining Christmas and Easter to those ignorant and happy "Christians" about how they were so wrong. LOL
It sure is! What a way to spend your life.
History is the fiction we invent to persuade ourselves that events are knowable and that life has order and direction. That's why events are always reinterpreted when values change. We need new versions of history to allow for our current prejudices.
Cootie Brown

Post by Cootie Brown »

If asked I simply say I'm not religious. That seems to end the inquiries without any more questions.
Tsathoggua

Post by Tsathoggua »

Cootie Brown wrote:If asked I simply say I'm not religious. That seems to end the inquiries without any more questions.
That is what I generally do!

By the way, I do remember seeing "extra, unknown people" coming in to church dressed to the nines on Easter and Christmas, obviously just visiting and unfamiliar with COC doctrine on the matter of said holidays. I could only imagine their confusion as the preacher launched into a sermon that had nothing to do with Easter or Christmas. They were probably thinking, "What kind of crazy cult have we stumbled across?"

That always gave me a chuckle...
KLP

Post by KLP »

Tsathoggua wrote:
Cootie Brown wrote:If asked I simply say I'm not religious. That seems to end the inquiries without any more questions.
That is what I generally do!

By the way, I do remember seeing "extra, unknown people" coming in to church dressed to the nines on Easter and Christmas, obviously just visiting and unfamiliar with COC doctrine on the matter of said holidays. I could only imagine their confusion as the preacher launched into a sermon that had nothing to do with Easter or Christmas. They were probably thinking, "What kind of crazy cult have we stumbled across?"

That always gave me a chuckle...
Of course that would be the response of most visitors who stumble in to a CofC whether or not it was a holiday. ;)

But of course if Apostle Paul or say any 1st Century Christian time travelled, they would be completely comfortable and at home in a CofC. Well except maybe for the clothing styles and electric lights...everything else pretty much the same. Same epistles, same 5 acts of worship, same organization. Or so was claimed by a number of preachers I endured.
Isn't the world wonderful...I am all for rational optimism and I am staying positive.
faithfyl

Post by faithfyl »

zeek wrote: I have in the past few months come to own my agnosticism and when questions about church affiliation or activities come up I tell people I'm agnostic and don't practice organized religion anymore. Unfortunately, that, in most cases, changes the conversation into one in which the other party has to argue for the existence of god. At that point I change the subject or walk away.
I wish many people could just listen to what someone says, and accepts it, without arguing back. I just tell them, you do what you need to do, and I'll do what I need to do. Goodbye.
Ashes

Post by Ashes »

I actually went to church this past weekend (though I usually don't because the Easter sermon is almost always especially bad) because it was a particular preacher's last Sunday.
Real blessings come from people.
KLP

Post by KLP »

I generally do not want to go to an Xmas Eve mass or an Easter Sunday for the same reasons I don't drop by the store on Black Friday...even if I really need something. But sometimes I enjoy a spectacle like a race or other event, but the hassle of crowds really bothers me. Even Jesus got tired of the crowds.
CatLover88

Post by CatLover88 »

Ashes wrote:I actually went to church this past weekend (though I usually don't because the Easter sermon is almost always especially bad) because it was a particular preacher's last Sunday.
:lol: That's great!

What I've never understood is "If 'they' want to make a birthday for Jesus and celebrate it as such what's the harm?"
But of course there's so many things wrong with it. I don't know. I've always been one of those people who are like "Yeah, I get why we don't observe these holidays like the other folk, but if they want to and they aren't hurting anyone, then that's their business. I honestly couldn't care less"
And still to this day, I don't care if someone is celebrating Christmas as Jesus' birthday or Easter as the day he rose from the dead. OR, if they're just exchanging gifts and looking for eggs. I. Don't. Care.

My best friend is an atheist, but her family is Catholic. Her father's side is Mexican and her grandmother barely speaks any english and is devout in her faith. My friend says that every Christmas they go over to her grandmother's house and do the usual. Eat, exchange gifts, and then they have to sing "happy birthday" to a little Jesus statue in Spanish.
I nearly pissed my pants the first time she told me. :lol: